4 Weeks: excess phlegm. Anyone else??!

Angie_M

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

As of today I think I'm approx 4 weeks (2 BFPs, doc appt Friday) and for the last few days the only symptom I've had is constant excess mucus in my throat.

I don't feel sick at all but can't stop clearing my throat and coughing. It's disgusting! Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this too?! Yuuuuuuck.

Yup!! That's me. Started early, and still going. It makes me sick a lot. Sorry it's hit you too!

Thanks for the reply, obviously not glad that it's happening to you but I am glad I'm not the only one! I also have lots of excess saliva which is just charming, especially as my job involves lots of talking!

With this and last pregnancy I got actually sick around 4 weeks but now that it's over I'm definitely experiencing the same thing. It could be due to the sickness but I went 3 days with no lingering symptoms and now just so much yuck in my throat.

I think this is one of the weird thing pregnancy can do to us. Though it is discussed only a few times, it is one of the common experiences in early pregnancy. I had all that when I was pregnant with DS. Only advice with I had survived is drinking lots of water, sometimes flavoured with lemon or sometimes just plain water. Sucking on sugar-free candies, tucking a tiny piece of raw ginger in my cheek, eating my food very, very slowly to take more time can help you with excess saliva.

I heard, it is due to radical shifts and spikes in hormone levels that can lead to a number of seemingly unrelated side effects. Extra phlegm is one of these. Oestrogen is known to increase production of mucus and can cause mucus to thicken or thin out to varying degrees. Good news is it is most intense in the first trimester, and it rarely lasts for more than about six weeks.

Yep. Same here. I was getting over a very long winded cold when I got my BFP so I wasn't certain if the sudden resurrgence in phlegm and coughing was related to this little one or if my cold was coming back.

Makes sense. Haha

I have it... but I'm also still getting over the enterovirus I came down with on the day of transfer. Man, that was awful. I don't recommend it. :haha:

Thanks very much for the responses ladies! I guess it's just another charming side effect..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->