4 year olds in school in UK

magicvw

Hoping for a 3rd
Reaction score
Hello mummies!

My daughter was 4 in July and think if we still lived in the UK she would have started school this Sep?

We live in Bulgaria now, where the kids don't start primary school til 6/7, which I think is very late.

I want to teach my daughter some things myself (I'm an English teacher but not a primary teacher) but I don't know what kinds of stuff they would be doing in this year.

Could anyone give me a few pointers or share any links to homeschooling websites for e.g, I'm looking for what's on the curriculum rather than how to teach.

Thanks a lot!

Parentsintouch is a great website.

They use jolly phonics in our primary schools now. I'm sure you know what that is but there should be some sites with more info :thumbup:

Many schools use the 'Letters & Sounds' phonic program and I use it with the children I teach. I am now in Reception class, teaching 4/5 year olds in their first year at school. It's very good and will give activities for you to do and examples of games etc. We incorporate the jolly phonic actions in with it too, so each phoneme has an action.

Have you looked onto the EYFS site, also try TES I'd imagine they would have alot of ideas and resources etc.

xx

Grace started school last year. They were taught phonics and number and letter recognition. They learned adding and subtracting upto the value of 10, how to split numbers. They also learned about the senses, basic stuff though like describing different objects using their sense's e.g it smells like, feels like, sounds like (Grace loved this). I think it's great that your going to give her a head start at home xx

They use jolly phonics in our primary schools now. I'm sure you know what that is but there should be some sites with more info :thumbup:

Our schools do Jolly phonics too, https://www.jollylearning.co.uk/

Thanks a lot! I have the Jolly Phonics set, but Poppy doesn't like them much. Well I have put them aside for a bit and will bring them out again when she's sort of forgotten them.

What sort of things do they do in science/nature? We have been collecting leaves and talking about autumn but I'm a bit stumped for what she would be able to comprehend at this stage (she is behind in language too so I have to keep things simple).

yeh phonics babes is the best thing,try googling teaching things that are important for a 4 year old at her stage,they do bit spelling and reading is started aswell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->