40 weeks and cervix still closed...

firsttime83

Reaction score
No change from last week's appointment. The doctor did not seem optimistic and I have an appointment Monday for induction options... which apparently is more complicated when your cervix is closed off.

Feeling discouraged and like this isn't going to happen soon, or naturally. Anyone experience this, and how did the labour end up happening?

Thanks.

Mine was tightly closed at 40+3 with my daughter and I went into labour naturally a couple of days later, don't give up hope! It's not unusual for it to be closed at 40 weeks for a first timer x

Even with my second baby 6 hours before she was born (after 6 hours or contractions already) my cervix was high and closed.

Things change very quickly especially with first pregnancys

Thanks ladies. Having a hard time finding information on this and looks like most people start to soften weeks before. This pregnancy thing is so hard with everyone being so different.

:hugs: Hang in there. I know it is not fun, but this can just be another path to everything ending up perfectly fine! In fact your chances of laboring naturally are still really good, and even if you are induced you will probably be just fine.

I had a Bishop score of 0 even a few hours after my labor started naturally at 41+3 and ctx were 4 minutes apart. Had Cervidil inserted and was ready to push 9 hours later. Totally straightforward birth.

Just make sure if you are closed that you have something to ripen your cervix rather than just pitocin right away. And cervidil is better than cytotec. My doctor was originally going to start with pitocin for some reason (I guess because my labor had started on its own), and I'm really glad I insisted on cervidil. It doesn't work for everyone as well as it did for me, but what's clear is that pitocin right off the bat is not a good option if you haven't progressed significantly.

I'm pregnant with my second and on Tuesday at 39+5 the mw attempted a sweep and said she couldn't do it as everything was still high and closed :-(

I'm the same, my cervix is still really high when my midwife even attempted a sweep at 40+1....I'm now 40+3 with no sign of labour yet :-(
It's disheartening know you've gone past your due date - especially when you feel like you're not progressing anywhere on your own :-( :hugs:

I don't know what is worse, not knowing how labour will happen or the waiting game...

Every little cramp, twitch or anything I feel I stop everything and think, could that mean something???? sigh

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->