• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

4th baby and wanting to breastfeed for the first time!!

PaiytonsMummy

Reaction score
As the title says.
This is my 4th and last baby. I want to try breastfeeding and I've already bought some things I'll need.
I don't want to regret never trying.

I've done a lot a reading online and in groups on Facebook, but I still feel a little nervous about it. Really nervous about feeding in public.

Any advise will be very appreciated.

Well done for giving it a go! Did you have any specific problems with your others that meant you didn't BF? The 1st 6 weeks or so tend to be the hardest but most find once things settle down its even easier than using a bottle. Once you get the hang of it you probably wont find feeding in public as hard as you expected. I took to feeding DD while walking with her in a boba wrap. No one knew I was feeding her.

Hi! I'm a first time mom... my baby is going to be ten weeks old and is breast fed. Are there any breast feeding classes in the area? I would suggest taking one (mine was free)... and also where I am once your baby is born you can join support groups!

I think if I could impart a piece of advice it would be that the first several weeks of breast feeding CAN BE (doesn't mean it WILL BE) very hard. You are trying to recover from childbirth and there's some things I feel like no one tells you...

Cluster feeding... during the first week or two your baby might want to be attached to you at all times and cry if they aren't at the breast ... mine did (they also might do this during growth spurts) Their tummies are so tiny and they are trying to boost your milk supply (so instinctually more time at the breast gets your milk to come in and increase).... I feel like this is where a lot of my friends panicked (I did too) because you feel like maybe your baby is starving or not getting enough or something and you want to fix that by making a bottle.... your baby is not starving and it is perfectly normal for them to want to eat allll the time for a bit, but your milk will regulate and so will they, it just takes a little bit.

The other thing is that if breast feeding HURTS it's not normal... at first your nipples might feel sore and sometimes there's a little pinch right before your milk lets down.... but if you are in pain or having cracked and bleeding nipples ... it's most likely an incorrect latch issue or maybe your baby has a tongue tie (my baby was tongue tied and once it was corrected breast feeding became amazing)... so if it hurts definitely see a lactation consultant !! A lot of people have a misconception that it should hurt. It shouldn't.

My last piece of advice is about comfort sucking.... no one ever explained the difference between nutritive sucking and comfort sucking.... so my baby loves to pacify herself by breast feeding but for the longest time I thought she couldn't get milk out of me and was "eating" all the time and didn't understand why she was fussy of milk came out of me. Basically if my baby is gassy, sleepy, fussy, etc she wants the breast BUT she doesn't wannnnt to eat she just wants to suck for comfort (perfectly normal - and why some people use pacifiers for their babies -because they reallllly like to suck for comfort when they are little and lets face it - mama cannot always be available! Mine doesn't take a pacifier, she just prefers me). So if your baby is on the breast but not actively swallowing and the sucking is smaller than eating, chances are they are there because it's just really comforting to be with mama :) but no one ever told me that so I just thought something was kind of wrong with my milk supply or something !

These were all the things I WISH I knew about breast feeding that no one ever shared with me, so I hope it helps you!!! I didn't like it at first but honestly now I am so in love with it now that we found or rhythm and I know what works with her, every baby is different !

About the feeding in public thing. For me I bought a cover and now she's a little bit bigger and I've used it it's gotten better... also I tend to use the car because it's a little bit more private ... but thats me. Breast feeding is natural and beautiful and there's nothing wrong with not using a cover. I'm just comfortable with one. I know you have other little ones but my breast feeding class suggested going to the movies with a little baby and using that as your first public experience because it's dark and no one can really see you in there so for your first time it might be a nice way to break the ice !

I totally understand your concerns about feeding in public.

I would say (if possible) don't go out in public too much till you a lo have learned to BF. I found that for the first while I would have trouble getting lo to latch on and it was just easier to take the boob out and help lo latch. This is not something that I would have wanted to do in public. But once they learn how to latch it's easy to get them on. Just bring a big blanket to cover yourself if you don't want anything exposed. Also, there are several more private areas you could go to when you do go out in order to BF in private.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->