5 day old static weight advice.

BigAl

Reaction score
My lo is 5 days old and lost 8% by day 3. She hasn't put on any weight since then. She is being weighed again in a couple of days, and I'm so stressed that will start telling me to supplement.

I am waking her for feeds every 2.5 to 3hrs, but she isn't that bothered and doesn't feed for more than 10 to 15m. She just seems to bring it back up if I manage to get any more into her. Her latch seems a little shallow, not much breast in her mouth, but really my nipples don't look too bad and I can clearly hear her swallowing.

She is having wet nappies, but its nearly 4 days since she had a dirty nappy. The mw is not bothered, but its worrying me.

I'm not used to a baby that isn't too worried about feeds. I bf my son for 16m, so I was fully prepared for the cluster feeds.

Any advice to either help with the weight gain, or should I stop stressing so much??

my lo continued to lose weight until day 6 so i would worry about not gaining yet. is your milk in?my milk was barley there on day 5. Has you lo had a normal poo or is it still meconium. after the meconium is out i have been told that babies can poop once a week or like my lo at ever feed.

Yes my milk came in on day 3, seems to be plenty there.

She did 4 poos day 1, and 2 on day 2, all meconium, and nothing since then. I know bf babies can go a while, but I didn't think this early!

She may be on her way back up - it's possible that she was still losing on day 3, reached her lowest point on day 4 and is now gaining again. Glad the mw isn't fussed :thumbup:

I would wake her every 2 hours during the day and 3 at night. If she falls asleep. 10-15 minutes is fine as far as i'm aware, so long as there is good milk transfer. If she falls asleep without taking much, gently blow on her face or strip her down/change her nappy to wake her and try again xx

I remember with Sophie that they wanted to see her poo transitioning to yellow by day 3-4. She did lots of little pops at that stage. She was never weighed in that period so I can't comment on that part.

I would think it was a little worrysome for a newborn to not be pooing, not at that early stage anyway, but I am just basing that on my own kids. I also would think that any poo 'build up' would add some weight?

Both of mine were well over birth weight by 7 days but I know it's fine not to be. Static weight is good I would think, there isn't any weight being lost which is positive.

Thomas was down 5.7% on the early morning of day 4 then gained around 350g between then and the evening of day 7. He nursed for about 30 minutes every 2 hours.

I'm still waking her for feeds, but she has started to put weight on thank god. She'd gain 190g by day 5, and another 230g by day 11.

I'm just so relieved, I was so worried about getting into the vicious cycle of top ups.

Not sure when I should stop waking her for feeds, she would literally sleep alllllllll day, but cries all night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->