5 days old, on demand feeding, too much???

Elsa50501

Mommy of 2!
Reaction score
Hi everyone, my 5 day old is addicted to the boob.

She's happy and healthy, my milk came in the afternoon of day 3 and she's been eating a ton since. But I feel like she may be feeding too frequently. They say 8-12 times a day is normal. But my LO is feeding (with great latch and lots of cuh-cuh swallowing sounds) about every 1hr 30 min to 1 hr 45 minutes max. Always feeding at least 5 minutes but sometimes up to 28 minutes (some time on each breast). Usually it's around 11 minutes though. She's already nearly back to birth weight.

Anyway, with that info, is this too often? I feel like she keeps pushing her intervals closer and closer together , lol. I'm worried that by the time skin to skin is done after feeding that I barely have time to sleep In between before she wakes for feeding.

What are your experiences/advice?

It's alright hon. My DS did it too. They call ot cluster feeling. Your LO does it to build up the fat content of your milk. It does settle down though xo Definitely invest in some nipple cream, if you haven't already xo

My LO feeds every hour if not sooner. As soon as she's done I'm usually feeding her 30 mins later! She's been a little better but I just go with it. She feeds on average 17 times a day. It does get easier. Couple weeks ago we hit a growth spurt I almost gave up glad I stuck through it!

That sounds totally normal for 5 days old. Between 4 and 7 days they go through their first little growth spurt and tank up. And there's no such thing as BFing too often ;)

Sounds about right to me. For the first couple of weeks you'll feed and do very little else. It settles down a bit after that, but for now she's establishing your supply and working on getting back to her birth weight.

Like DCMum says, there's no such thing as breastfeeding too often.

There's no such thing as too much Hun. Xx Keep up the good work.

And besides, just think of all the wonderful antibodies you are giving baby as we head into cold, flu and RSV season! The more breast milk, the better! :)

You cannot feed too much but my pediatrician said if it's driving me crazy its ok to only allow it once per hour.

At 5 days old Sophie was feeding more often and for longer. She was above her birt weight at 7 days old by 200grams.

Its normal. Baby is still brand new.

Thanks everyone! I was worried that maybe she wasn't getting enough at each feeding or something. I went to my local hospitals breast feeding support group and she is in fact feeding like a champ. Fed 1.6 oz off one breast then .3 oz off the other in just one feeding. An hour and a half later she just fed off both all over again. Before feeding she was 7lbs 3.6 oz. after she was 7lbs 5.5 oz ... She's 6 days old now and her birthweight was 7 lbs 5 oz. lol. She's a breastfeeding maniac!

Thank you for all you messages, I was stressing last night before group today.

Wow, that's fantastic!! Well done mama and well done, Isabelle!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burgess422
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->