• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

5 week old baby spits out more milk than she drinks :(

MummysMiracle

Reaction score
I'm just wondering if anybody has any advice or suggestions...
My 5 week old little girl spits out almost every feed.
I've tried giving her a warm feed as a pose to a room temperature feed to see if it makes any difference but there was no difference.
I use tommee tippee bottles so switched to avent to see if that helped but that didn't work either. My health visitor told me to try feeding her in different positions but it doesn't matter how I lay her or sit her up the milk just pours out of her mouth, it's getting to the point where her clothes are soaking wet as her feed is dribbling down her neck and making her poor neck sore. I don't know what else to try. :nope:

We moved to varifow teat on tommee tippee bottles and made sure she was sat up when feeding and burped at least every. 2 ounces.

She still does it sometimes when she's not really that hungry but still wanted a bottle and it's more like a game than a feed, but most times she eats cleanly.

My 5 week old is doing the same. It's only started the last few days.

My twins were prem but we make sure their tongues are down so I know it's not that.

We are going through no end of bibs!

I don't know what to do!

Try burping every ounce or two during the feed. If that doesn't reduce it, then it could be the formula. The burping helped us eliminate most of the spit up, and then switching to a gentle formula took care of the rest.

i use dr browns bottles and burp every ounce and set her upright during feeding and then keep her upright afterwards and she still manages to spit up every feed at some point. She does it alot when burping. She does it if she gets the hiccups. Sometimes there doesnt seem to be a cause and it will come pouring out of her nose aswell and she panics.. drs keep saying its normal or they say i am over feeding her maybe and it causes congestion. but i feed her every 3-4hrs and she takes 3 ounces. she is 6 weeks old today. if i dont give her 3 ounces she will just cry and cry. drs said it sounds like im not overfeeding her but have no advice to give except give her more gas drops! i now give her the drops with every bottle but it has made no change. she toots a lot but still gets the hiccups every time and still spits up and chokes herself, etc. a formula change might help but i cant do that without the pediatrician saying it's ok first. this spitup thing is frustrating!

try a bottle with a different shape teat hun. DS2 couldnt handle the standard round shape teats (tt.. avent etc) so we tried MAM and they were perfect for him x

I'm having the exact same thing happen with my 2 week old, its not positing its just leaking out of her mouth as she drinks

I think I will try the narrow bottles like seths mummy suggested as she seemed to be ok on the disposable hospital bottles, but the avent and tommee tippee bottles at home are shocking

I'm having the exact same thing happen with my 2 week old, its not positing its just leaking out of her mouth as she drinks

I think I will try the narrow bottles like seths mummy suggested as she seemed to be ok on the disposable hospital bottles, but the avent and tommee tippee bottles at home are shocking

Try the dr browns bottles for preemies. They only go up to two oz but they are brilliant. x

I'm just wondering if anybody has any advice or suggestions...
My 5 week old little girl spits out almost every feed.
I've tried giving her a warm feed as a pose to a room temperature feed to see if it makes any difference but there was no difference.
I use tommee tippee bottles so switched to avent to see if that helped but that didn't work either. My health visitor told me to try feeding her in different positions but it doesn't matter how I lay her or sit her up the milk just pours out of her mouth, it's getting to the point where her clothes are soaking wet as her feed is dribbling down her neck and making her poor neck sore. I don't know what else to try. :nope:

My two had terrible reflux and i tried so many different things in the end the only things that worked for them were dr browns bottles and a product from the dr called instant carobel it thickens the milk Helps it to stay down.

if she is eating too much she will puke it up also.. all babies aint the same.. I have a 4 1/2 month old that still can only take 4 oz of milk

Has she always been like this, or just lately? Is she otherwise healthy and gaining weight?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->