• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

5ths of engagement....tell me what it means?

Wannabemum96

Reaction score
Ok ladies, saw midwife today and according to my notes bubba is 4/5 engaged.....

Now I know that it actually means pretty much nothing cause they can be engaged one minute and not engaged the next, but I’m just wondering what the 5ths actually mean? Is it bubba is 4/5 in my pelvis or out??

Thanks

F9153DAE-55A3-4746-9446-76379F21A9B7.png

I think it’s how much of baby’s head she can feel so right now your baby is 4/5 out the pelvis

Your midwife will note how many fifths of your baby's head she can feel above the edge of your pelvis. So 5/5 or 4/5 in your notes means that your baby hasn't dropped all the way down yet, while 3/5, 2/5, or less means that your baby is engaged. Your midwife may also write "NE", "NEng" or "free" for "not engaged", or "E" or "Eng" for "engaged".

From the babycentee website . Hope this helps !

Thanks for that :D I’m just never sure which way round it is, if it’s 4/5’s is in or 4/5ths is out #-o

She never actually said during my appointment so only noticed on the app after I’d been.

That info helps so thank you :D xx

Your welcome . There’s a few images on google which shows you the baby’s head in relation to your pelvis which is also helpful !

From what I remember if it was engaged that means baby is almost fully engaged but if it was palpable that means baby would be 1/5th engaged as she can feel 4/5ths of baby's head. :) From your notes I'd guess baby is almost fully engaged. :)

here is the image I found useful. I always find it confusing if they mean the head is in or out too as my midwifes last time kept writing It down differently . One working off in the other out ! Confusing!
B70E92E2-741A-4926-8A30-C4593ECB0655.jpeg

From what I remember if it was engaged that means baby is almost fully engaged but if it was palpable that means baby would be 1/5th engaged as she can feel 4/5ths of baby's head. :) From your notes I'd guess baby is almost fully engaged. :)

When they used to write the notes they would write palpable or engaged so u knew the difference but now it’s on this app it just says engaged :-k who knows lol!!! Xx

I remember 4/5 engaged is how much of the baby is in the pelvis

palpable is how much she can feel out if the pelvis so excuse my maths i think baby 4/5 engaged is nearly fully engaged meaning 1/5 of baby is palpable

2/5 engaged would mean 3/5 palpable.... if that makes sense

Basically baby is almost fully engaged:)

I really hope we are nearly fully engaged....although I know it can change to not engaged so quickly I’m really hoping this little one decides to come a little early, I’m sooooo uncomfortable and fed up I’m ready for him to just be here xx

I remember 4/5 engaged is how much of the baby is in the pelvis

palpable is how much she can feel out if the pelvis so excuse my maths i think baby 4/5 engaged is nearly fully engaged meaning 1/5 of baby is palpable

2/5 engaged would mean 3/5 palpable.... if that makes sense

Basically baby is almost fully engaged:)

This is what I always get mixed up with palpable and engagement in the maternity notes ! Bit ditzy on these things !

Ignore my first post on this thread then as I got it totally the wrong way around !

Just to confuse us even more....I looked further down my notes to see this......(see pic) extra confused now, one part of the notes says ‘engaged’ another part says ‘palpable’

Basically what I need to do is just blooming well ask while they are feeling about down there at my next visit lol!!! :dohh::dohh::dohh:

FA5BFACB-BB68-41DA-93AD-579EAB1A4C15.jpeg

Oh gosh I’m with you on this one confused haha!

I think we are sometimes rushed at these appointments so forget to ask !

Oh gosh I’m with you on this one confused haha!

I think we are sometimes rushed at these appointments so forget to ask !

Totally agree!! Our health centre is so understaffed right now it really is as quick as they can see u and get u out the door xx

This is what I always get mixed up with palpable and engagement in the maternity notes ! Bit ditzy on these things !

Ignore my first post on this thread then as I got it totally the wrong way around !

I know hun trust me I had so many issues in pregnancy with my 2nd I could write a bloody pregnancy book on the knowledge I gained hahaha

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amama
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->