5yo goes crazy for sweets

pregatlast

Brand new mummy
Reaction score
I try not to let my kids eat too many sweets, cakes etc and don't often let them have juice - but they often/usually get some sort of sweet treat at the weekend. Whenever my 5yo has access to sweets, she goes crazy. We were at a birthday party a few months ago and she just ate and ate and ate and ended up being sick, for which I feel awful. Today, we were in a few shops and in both, she tried to take sweets from the pick and mix and put in her pocket - which I'm mortified about because obviously stealing is not acceptable, which she knows - and also because she seems to have a total 'thing' about sweets. Like I said, it's not like she never gets any - but I don't really want to start letting her have them more often or she will just want them more and more. She recently started school and I think a few of her friends often have sweets for snack, which I never do. My 5yo is happy enough to have some fruit or something, but I don't know if she is feeling the pressure/feeling left out or what?!

I really don't know how to deal with this. I obviously don't want her to binge on sweet things (or steal them) whenever she has the opportunity, but I don't really want to introduce them as part of every day life.

Any experience/advice?

Thanks

No advice but just to say my 5 year old is the same. Again we don't let him have sweets very often but when he gets them he goes totally crazy and obsessive, he'll try to take sweets off his younger brothers and everything.

I've tried to take his focus off sweets as a treat and try to encourage him to having a small toy or stationery or something along those lines if he's getting something but it doesn't change anything.

My ds is the same too. He went to a friends house the other week and ate 3 cakes there! With my children if they're having cake they get one served to them, this Mum maybe had them out on the table and ds just kept asking for them.

It's so hard to know what to do for the best! We were at another birthday party today (which I almost dread because they tend to just be sweets sweets sweets, juice and cake, then they get another bag full of sweets and cake to take home!) and she wasn't quite so bad, but after I asked her not to have any more, I saw her sneak a few more. I didn't want to cause a scene infront of her friends, but equally, if I ask her not to have more - then I'm a bit annoyed that she went on to have more a few times.

I do sometimes wonder if the novelty would wear off if I just let her have what she wants when she wants for a little while, but I don't really want to try and see!!!

My husband often says maybe if we give them a bit more he will get used to it! I don't know if that's true. They need to learn moderation but a lot of little ones are quite impulsive and can take things without much thought apart from yummy.
My son ruined my friends 30th birthday for me as she had a tea party thing with all the cakes left out and he just would not leave them alone

I try to offer ice pops instead of sweets mine don't feel like they are missing out there cheaper and mostly just fruit juice
or if you want no sugar you can make you own
no sugar jelly is also good
but your not alone its most children

I guess I'm more lax about it, with frequency of allowing sweets. They get sooo much candy at halloween that it takes forever to get through it, even with donating a good portion to troops overseas. I let the kids have a small piece (like hershey kiss sized piece) most days after dinner. They only get one piece, and they never argue for more or ask for more. If we are having an actual dessert, like cake or brownies (maybe once a week), they don't get candy that day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->