6 week old feeds more frequently but less ounces

DandJ

First time mom
Reaction score
My 6 week old is formula fed and just recently has been having more frequent feeds but taking in less ounces. Possibly a growth spurt? Also, she has hiccups after mostly all her feedings... I don't know what else I can do to prevent her swallowing air. I use Dr Browns bottles, burp her through out her feeding, keep her upright during and after her feeding. I also noticed she has gas pains when she falls asleep... We give her Mylicon gas drops before she feeds to help but not sure it works.

Is all this normal or anything I can do to stretch out her feedings and prevent hiccups/gas pains?

Is she sick alot? My two youngest were just like this and both have reflux/silent reflux.

I don't think she is sick... Her pediatrician out her on Similac Total Comfort formula for sensitive tummies (hopefully it works) even though I suspect acid reflux. She originally was on Enfamil Gentlease for gas, fussiness...

But after two feedings yesterday on new formula, she spit up like 2 hours later but didn't seem to be in pain. Also, she is feeding less with this new formula.... Not sure what to do! Should I wake a sleeping baby to feed her or look for her hungry cues? Ahhh, being a mom is hard! Lol

My son didn't have acid reflux, but when he was a newborn and having the typical sensitive tummy/trouble burping/etc issues, it was suggested to us to give him a bit of fennel tea. (giving tea to babies for various ailments is common practice in Germany where I am living)

You can buy regular fennel tea bags and make a cup of weak tea from it. Let it cool to room temp, and then put some in a baby bottle. Then BEFORE you give baby any formula, give him/her a few sips of the tea. Evidently, giving it beforehand soothes your baby's tummy in preparation for the meal to come. Then after you feed your baby, if they are still fussy/having trouble burping, then give them a few sips more to further help them.

We found it worked wonders in helping him burp. (which had been his main problem), and we gave him a bit at each meal until he got older. I know your problem is different, but since the fennel tea is an overall general help for tummy/digestion problems... maybe it might help soothe your baby too? Might be worth trying in any event.

Oh, and if you do try it, just make certain to really only give a few sips of it. You don't want them to drink drink it, or they will fill up on it and not have room for their food. And also, too much of it can give them loose bowels.

As for waking or letting baby sleep through, I woke him at that age to keep him on a schedule. That's just the way I wanted to do things. If your baby is happy to sleep through, and you are too... go with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->