6 week old - sleep at night, how does mine compare?

Kmx

Reaction score
I'm tired & exhausted but coping fairly ok. This is my second child so I know I will sleep again where as first time round I lost hope of ever getting a good sleep again. Anyway I feel really frustrated when other people boast of their babies sleeping through the night at 6 weeks.

Does my baby's routine seem normal for a 6 week old or were your babies going longer at this point?

Her routine is roughly -

7:30pm - breastfeed for 5-10 mins
12:30am - breastfeed for 15 mins
3:00am - breastfeed for 10 mins
5:00 - breastfeed for 5 mins
6:30am - awake

I think that's great, especially that first stretch. Does baby take one breast or both at each feed?

The only thing I'd maybe try personally is seeing if baby will take the other breast also at that 3am feed it they don't already. I find switching breasts even if Freya is sleeping will waken her up enough to encourage her to feed a little on the other side and as a result will maybe cut out that 5am feed!

That sounds great! I think my daughter about the same as that. My son a lot worse!

If a remember correctly, at 6 weeks my daughter was waking 1-2 times. Usually 11pm/12a or 2/3am. So similar to yours except for the 5am feed (she may have woken for the day by then though). Her sleep greatly improved by 8 weeks and only wakes up occasionally (now almost 5 months, hoping it continues lol). I hope your baby starts walking up a bit less to eat soon. <3

Thanks everyone

She only ever takes one boob as she falls asleep. I do offer the other one by rubbing her lips but she's in such a deep sleep she doesn't take it. I'm not sure whether to start stripping her/changing her nappy after during the night feed to see if she takes more. I'm usually so tired I just put her straight down after burping her and fall back to sleep. I usually only change her if she really needs it (really wet or dirty) but she rarely does at the 12:30/3 feed.

Forgot to mention I formula fed during night feeds so no advice on the breast feeding question.

I think that is a great schedule! She sleeps better than my 11 month old who wakes every 2-3 hours all night long!

If she is gaining weight appropriately and having a good number of wet and dirty diapers then I wouldn't try to force her to stay awake longer at night to nurse. Let her just have her one boob and then you can all go back to sleep.

My baby is 6 weeks old but FF. He currently has a feed at 6pm then 10pm and then 3pm and then up for the day at 6.30am. I think your baby is sleeping fine. My first slept through from 6 weeks so I didn't realise how lucky I was. I can't imagine this lo being ready for that any time soon!

My baby is the same age and has roughly the same schedule. While there does appear to be some mythical baby creature that sleeps through the night at a very early age I think it is more of an exception than the norm for breastfed babies. My first slept through the night starting at 18 months (it was rough, I'm not going to lie!) and my second at 14 months. You're doing great so keep at it!

My twins are 7 weeks old today and feed every 3 hours. Occasionally one or both will go 4 hours and sometimes it's only 2 hours. At night we generally are doing 830pm, 1130pm, 230am & 530am (give or take an hour). This was the routine set by the special care nursery they were in. I long for them to sleep through the 230am feed. Some nights they decide they just want to be awake between feeds and will grunt and move about for a while, then eventually cry. Other nights they sleep the 3hrs through perfectly. Both my SIL's babies slept through from around 10pm - 5am from a month old!

Personally I would class that as sleeping through the night!! Ok so she wakes at 3 and 5 but it's such a short time I think it seems good!

Thanks everyone.

So last night I was out late until 9:30 and she was awake the full time. I fed her and put her to bed for 10pm. She then woke at 4:20am so 6 hours 20 minutes straight then woke for the day at 7:30am. It was amazing.

So now I'm wondering if I should start to wake her for a feed at 10pm to see if she sleeps better.. Although it seems a bit cruel and I'd prefer to follow her lead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->