6 year old - Tablet?

MMAmummy

Mum to 2 boys & WTT #3
Reaction score
My DS1 will be 6 in December and asked for an iPad for Christmas. Both DH & I have iPads and I let DS use mine for games and Netflix at the weekends. I thought about buying him a cheaper tablet, maybe Galaxy Tab 7 inch or a Tesco Hudl but now I'm thinking at 6 he doesn't need one at all. He gets (restricted) access to my iPad and has Disney Infinity for DH'S Playstation so I want to buy him toys and games whilst he's young. What do you all think?

I've bought my 5 year old an amazon fire tablet for xmas. was 49.99 and has great parental contol features.
We don't already have one just a laptop so i want to get him off that as he can get on anything on there where the tablet can be restricted to just the apps.

I've bought my 5 year old an amazon fire tablet for xmas. was 49.99 and has great parental contol features.
We don't already have one just a laptop so i want to get him off that as he can get on anything on there where the tablet can be restricted to just the apps.

DH has a Kindle Fire that he got a few years ago and doesn't use. I really could give him that but he likes using the camera on the ipad to record videos of himself and that doesn't have a camera.

DH has a Kindle Fire that he got a few years ago and doesn't use. I really could give him that but he likes using the camera on the ipad to record videos of himself and that doesn't have a camera.

the new amazon one does have a camera it's not brill though.
If he enjoys that what about a video recorder instead?

I got my dd a kindle fire too and hers has a camera. I like her having her own, especially one that was cheap and seems more durable than an ipad (she's dropped it, thrown it, spilled water on it) just so I don't have to worry so much when she has it. It takes some getting used to though as it's not as easy to navigate, imo, as the ipad. But really do they NEED their own, no they don't.

If he uses yours anyway, maybe it would be worthwhile looking at something else. We're going for a small laptop for our 6 year old

My almost 6 yr old has a tablet. She loves it. J has one too (he's 13). They come in handy on many occasions :)

Last year i bought my 4 year old one of those learning tablets, so that is always an option if he is just using it to play games on :)

We've just bought our 5 year old a Hudl for his birthday, it's brilliant. You set up profiles, I have a profile on there that only I can open and it controls his profile so I've turned off Internet and in app purchase and downloads so all he can do is play apps I approve and his camera it's brilliant, he loves it. There's a way of limiting how long he can go on it too. Such a bargain price too, at 5 I don't want him on it enough to justify the cost of an iPad so the Hudl has worked out brilliantly, I imagine the kindle fire is similar so I'd go for one of those.

One of my girls has a kindle fire and one has a hudl 2, both love their tablets but I think the hudl is deffo the better of the two x

The hudl is fab my only criticism would be that the battery life isnt great compared to the ipad but definitely enough to spend for a child x

That's true the battery life isn't great, it needs charging everyday even if it hasn't been heavily used.

Thanks for all the replies. IF I decide to get him anything it'll probably be a Hudl. I work for Tesco and sometimes get 20% off so could get it for £80 x

Tesco usually reduce them a bit pre xmas too, plus you can use clubcard points towards them x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->