6w4d no heartbeat...any hope?

Driving280

Reaction score
I am at about 6w4d or 6w5d and no heartbeat detected in vaginal u/s... Yolk sac, fetal pole and hcg of 29,000, which is good. Dr. was not hopeful but I am going to a follow-up ultrasound on Thursday. Anyone have any hopeful stories?

When they scanned me at 6+1 the ultra sound tech picked up my heart beat 77 on the vaginal scan and put it as possible fetal heart rate even though I knew it was wrong my doctor still have me the whole thing about it not looking good and he was very negative about it progressing. Then at 7 weeks scan they found it and could measure it though I still couldn't hear it. It was 134 and the doctor has been very positive since. Don't lose hope because that is still very early to detect a heart beat.

I was 6 weeks and 2 days at my last scan we think and couldn't say we saw the heartbeat 100%. My RE wasn't concerned at all. I am surprised your doctor was so quick to be so negative! Hang in there until your next scan Chica.

What size was the fetal pole? From what I've read anything smaller than 5mm still has a chance of developing a heartbeat.

Follow up 2 days later seems very soon, yes it gives you answers sooner but not necessarily as accurately. I had a MMC in July/August. Fetal pole was 3mm without a heartbeat at the first scan and was made to wait 9 days between scans to give the embryo time to grow. This time I had a scan at 5+6 showing 2 sacs, one with a yolk sac, one still empty and I'm being made to wait 12 days this time to allow for growth (even though I'm bleeding, but that's a whole other story).

The other question is how sure are you of your dates? Are you going from LMP, or were you using OPK's, temping ect?

If you want a whole bunch of good news stories google "misdiagnosed miscarriage", there's a whole site of stories good and bad. I'll also pm you the direct link as its another forum so its against T&C's if I put it out here and I'd hate to incur the wrath of the moderators :)flower:)

I'm surprised they're only leaving it two days too. Here they make you wait two weeks.... which in my opinion is too long!

Good luck, i have everything crossed for you x

I had a scan at 6w in which we saw a gestational sac and tiny yolk sac. My doc advised that he hopes to see a better developed yolk sac at 7w (which is tomorrow!) and then a heartbeat at 8w. I would say there's lots of hope for you! I'm agreeing with the other ladies that a scan 2 days later seems very early. I'd like more like 1-2 weeks would make more sense.

My last scan was actually yesterday, so they are leaving 3 days. The doctor thought that it would make sense to have a scan with the best equipment at a radiology center before the final diagnosis. By Thursday, I will be at least 7 weeks whichever way you count (I charted and used OPKs and got a pretty early BFP so I can't really be earlier than 7 weeks then) and he said that by then you can draw conclusions. I am not really holding out much hope - just the chance that my dr. is not that great with u/s or that his office machine isn't that good. I want to hope but realistically, I am 40 years old, so the m/c risk is high...

hfm, thanks! Was that a transvaginal or abdominal u/s? With the latter, they don't expect a heartbeat before 8 weeks, with the t/v it is 6-6.5... I was measuring a couple of days behind (6w2d) so that's not great either because my dates are about as certain as can be.

I actually do not want to wait for 2 weeks... If it is clear that the pg is not going anywhere, I want to have a d&c and start trying right away again. At my age, every month counts...

hfm, thanks! Was that a transvaginal or abdominal u/s? With the latter, they don't expect a heartbeat before 8 weeks, with the t/v it is 6-6.5...

It was transvaginal. Last week at the first scan my doc wasn't worried or concerned with my progress at 6w, so I'm hoping for a good result tomorrow.

When I had an ultrasound at 6.5 days, I was told the heartbeat had only just started beating and I was lucky to see one! So I say you have plenty to hope for. :)

hfm, how did it go?

It went well! The nurse was aprehensive at first as the gestational sac was a little smaller than typical for 7w. And she didn't look at my chart to see what it was last week, but I could tell it's definitely grown. More like a little bean now than a blueberry. We've got a heartbeat 116! Doc wasn't worried but said I'm measuring a little small (more like 6w 3d, give or take 2 days). I go back in next week for another scan before he hands be off to my OB.

Glad to hear, hfm.

I had my follow-up u/s today at the major facility. 7 weeks 1 day today. No heartbeat. D&C scheduled tomorrow. Thanks everyone. :(

Sorry it wasn't better news. I hope the D&C goes smoothly, I had one as an emergency and its was a very straight forward operation, though I'm sure thats little comfort at the moment.

Oh hun, so sorry you're going through this xxx

Sorry Hun doesn't sound good heartbeat starts beating normally when hcg is 12.500 I hope they're wrong and u have a miracle x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->