7 month old biting while breastfeeding

jrand2more

Reaction score
Hi ladies!

Please help, my 7 month old has just popped his second tooth out today, and now keeps biting me. How do I get him to stop?

Also since he cut his first tooth, my milk supply seems to have dropped dramatically, and he is fussy at the breast. Is that normal?

Not had the experience, but midwife said to me that if it happens you should take them off the boob straight away, look them in the eye and say "No" very firmly with a stern expression before putting them back on and to repeat this every time it happens. Apparently eventually they will learn that biting means no milk! If they smile like it's a game, be sure not to smile back!

I'd be interested to learn other ladies' experiences of this and what worked as it's something I'm not looking forward to happening!

lo started biting at about 7 months, and only does it very occasionally now if she's had enough or doesn't want it.
Some others on here at the time suggested momentarily bringing baby's face right into the breast so that their nose is covered and they let go to breathe then withhold the breast for 10 seconds then put them back on, repeat until they work out what's going to happen if they bite.
When she first started I was so shocked I was shouting out in pain but that made it worse so try to deal with it calmly so it doesn't become a big issue.

Well last night I noticed that he bit me just to see my reaction, almost as if it was a game. So I closed up and told him that I was done. He started screaming out of frustration, but I held fast. After a while, he started crying, so I gave in, but he didn't bite me again.

Then this morning, he did it again. So I again refused to let him drink further. This time he quickly tried to make amends :) he hasn't bit me again, but the day is still young. He only seems to bite the one nipple which is odd...

withholding it seems to be working then!
He'll get it soon enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"