7 week old not opening wide anymore

Stash777

Mommy to Teagan Noelle
Reaction score
I've been EBF since she was born, but she just started not opening her mouth wide for latch on this past week. BF is starting to get a bit painful when she first tries to latch on due to this problem, but within the first minute she's taken in my breast correctly - so it's just the initial latch on. I've tried rubbing my nipple against her upper lip, but it isn't helping. Occasionally I can get her to open wide by opening my mouth wide when she looks at me. But overall I feel like I am fighting with her to get her to latch properly at the onset...Any advice??

Seriously? Not one word of advice or support?? I'm so discouraged with bf right now I'm ready to just give up.

I had the opposite issue - He would latch fine the pull himself further down to a shallow latch which he still does now but my nipples to used to it eventually.

Makes sure you're usin plenty of Lansinoh before and after feeding.

My LO was always a bit lazy at latching and would nipple feed quite happily. Lots of nipple cream, a bit of teething gel on your nipple if it's sore (put on a few minutes before feeding LO then wipe any excess off before letting LO latch), plenty of air time etc, as you would with a newborn. I've always found that unlatching and relatching causes more pain than just letting LO get on with it and correct her latch herself. What does help is pushing my boob towards LO so she either has to unlatch and move her head away or open wider to take more boob.

Thank you. It's just weird to me that she's been latching fine with my help since day one and now she won't open her mouth wide enough to get a proper latch even with my help. We just introduced pacifiers but now I'm thinking it was a huge mistake so we've put them away. We only introduced them because she was wanting to just comfort suck so much.

Rachel, yeah I've found the unlatching and relatching just frustrates both of us. I'll try pushing more boob towards her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->