7 year old boy who died in drainage pipe.

kerrie24

me,him and 3 lo's
Reaction score
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/ukne...into-plastic-pipe-on-building-site/ar-AAdxEyh

Has anyone heard about the little boy who was missing,that they found in a builders yard sadly passed away?
It is a terrible shame but what on earth was a 7 year old doing out at a park 2 miles away from home on his own at 8pm?! The grandma also says he has behavioral problems which prevent him from taking notice of the "keep out" signs on the builders yard.Surely he should have been properly supervised at his age.That poor little boy must have been so frightened.

It's very sad. I don't think judging the parents help- they'll be torturing themselves enough.
Whilst I'd never let my child out at that time of night, we all have different ideas of what is ok and what isn't.
We don't know all the facts. Perhaps the parents didn't know the child would wander so far. Perhaps his friends were much older and she trusted then to supervise and see him home safely, or perhaps they were lured into a sense of security with the lighter nights etc.
Who knows, but the fact remains as parents we all make mistakes. Sadly the consequence of this mistake was a child lost his life 😔

It's a terrible story.

Kerrie - I agree, he must have been so scared. It's just unbelievably sad.

Loraloo - totally agree with you about not judging the family. I cannot even imagine what they must be going through.

I feel so sad for this little boy & his family.

I dont know why people are so scared to have opinions these days,I think it is fair to judge this as a bad decision.I realise they probably didn't plan on anything happening and are obviously distraught. Maybe its just me but I think the same about people leaving young children alone and them having an accident or girls walking through empty fields at 2am and being attacked. Im not saying they asked for it or deserve it,nobody does,but they put him at risk.

Of course you're entitled to your opinion and I've seen lots of similar comments so you're not alone.
The fact is they obviously thought their son was safe, and he likely would have been had he not entered the building site.
It's not neglect, yes bad judgement as you said, but overall I think it's just been a terrible Tragic accident. The parents need support, not condemning

If he hadn't entered the site he could have been kidnapped, beaten up by older kids or hit by a car, he was 7 years old. I don't understand who would think it safe to let them wander 2 miles away at that age.

Of course he could but so could a 14 or 15 year old. It could also happen if he was playing on the front street.
Like I say it's not something I'd do, I'm a very over protective mum, but we are only being given snippets of information.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/ukne...into-plastic-pipe-on-building-site/ar-AAdxEyh

Has anyone heard about the little boy who was missing,that they found in a builders yard sadly passed away?
It is a terrible shame but what on earth was a 7 year old doing out at a park 2 miles away from home on his own at 8pm?! The grandma also says he has behavioral problems which prevent him from taking notice of the "keep out" signs on the builders yard.Surely he should have been properly supervised at his age.That poor little boy must have been so frightened.

sorry but i totally agree my 7year old doesn't even leave our street and is in bed for 8pm i feel really sorry for the family but this was a small child who was not looked after and now will never grow up so so sad :cry:

I'm sure there will be more news about this to come & who knows what that might reveal. What if another family member let him play out? An older sibling whilst mum was at work? What if he said he was going to a house three doors down & then he & friends decided to run off?

I wouldn't make this choice about time/distance of playing out (hell, I struggle to let my four year old play alone in her room sometimes without worrying a wardrobe will fall on her or something!) but I don't want to condemn other parents on the basis of small amounts of information. People judging & giving out blame is only going to make this family feel worse at a time that no parent should ever, ever have to go through.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion about the story. Mine is that this whole family is right now grieving a huge loss that they won't ever get over & I don't want to place blame based on a journalists interpretation of events (coz we all know how skewed they can be!)

I have to admit my first reaction was 'what was he doing out, and that far from home' I imagine it's most people's thoughts and more so I imagine it's his parents thought now.

I do think in certain areas people feel it's safer to play out than others (frankly where I live in SE London, although it's a nice suburb I won't be letting him out for a long time). Also like PPs have said we don't know the full story, perhaps the friends were older and had said they'd walk him back? Who knows, it's a tragedy regardless.

It must be a location thing too. My kids wander the neighborhood and beyond (not my four year old). They head to the back woods where there is frequently cougar and bears. We live in the suburbs and we are on the outskirts of the city...basically our street is the last city street and is woods after that. My son regularly walks a good 6 km to the nearest corner store. He goes out with friends for hours and my daughter stays closer to home due to her anxiety but can if she wanted. Kids are given free roam here and it would be odd to not let your child have that freedom. Don't beat this family up. They paid the ultimate sacrifice and we have no idea how their family was. Perhaps they are horrid parents but I don't know! My kids have to be home at 9pm (that's what time it starts to get dark here in the summer).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->