8 month old and milk intake?

mum22ttc#3

Mum of 3
Reaction score
Just wondering what everyone else's lo's are drinking or was drinking at 8 months?
Everywhere I look says ds should be starting to drop bottles but he isn't? He is eating 3 meals a day although we are blw so he may not be getting quite as much as if we was traditional weaning, he's definitely eating some though. On top of that he's drinking 5 bottles at 7 ounces a time. Does this seem to much?

He's always been just above the 25th centile for weight and has had a little jump in the last few weeks but still only just below the 50th centile so not overly loads.

My 10 month old daughter is still having 4-5 bottles (ranging from 4oz -6) and has 3 solid meals a day. I'm not sweating it. She'll drop her feeds when she's ready to (from experience with my son).

My daughter was on 3 7oz bottles at 10 months (when she woke up, after her morning nap, so around 12 and before bed), she's just gone down to two 7oz bottles a day (when she wakes up and before she goes to bed)

As long as he's happy and healthy I wouldn't worry :hugs:

I think that sounds about right. We did blw as well and at that age ours was having 6 bottles a day about 6 to maybe 8 oz each, plus three finger food meals. One of those was a nighttime bottle. She dropped that overnight one at 9 months exactly and the two afternoon ones merged into one sometime around then too, so that she was on 4 a day by 10 months, maybe about 6oz each at that point. It just happened on its own. She did start to eat a lot more food at 9-10 months so I think that had a lot to do with it.

Thanks for the replies. He also still has a night bottle that I can't see him dropping anytime soon (11.30- think that classes as night?).
I had googled the other day and everywhere I read said that he should be getting between 500-600ml a day including milk in food and yogurts etc. It was only when I worked out he's drinking 1000ml alone that I though it may be a little too much :)

I used BLW with all of my babies, and I certainly don't mind my babies being chunky - 3 of the 4 were chunky. I let them have their milk until they naturally drop them, but I do offer water all throughout the day once they drop a bottle or start drinking less of the bottles (most of my babies will start with drinking less out of each bottle, then eventually stop wanting to take them). My baby is 11m, and he just dropped one bottle a few weeks ago. Some days, he takes 2 (8oz) bottles. Some days, he takes 3. He drinks water, and I keep a sippy cup full for him. He eats 3 solid meals and a snack or two every day. He is very chunky and active and happy! Most of my babies were down to 1 bottle per day at that point, but my fourth-born still enjoys them most of the time, so I let him have a "baba" if he asks for one.

I think your baby's doing just fine, too. Especially with BLW. Our babies rely more on their milk.

My 8 month old has 4 bottles a day, she has a 6oz in the morning, 4oz mid morning, 4oz mid afternoon and 6oz before bed but she sometimes doesnt finish a bottle. She also has three meals a day although lunch is just finger food. She is on the 75th percentile so is a chunky baby.

Emma is breastfeeding and is a month younger, but she has UPPED her milk intake. She's also BLW'ing. She nurses more now than ever!

A long time ago but my eldest I remember was having 4 or 5 9oz bottles a day at 8 months. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->