9 month old not drinking formula!

GemM83

Reaction score
Needs some reassurance please guys!!

My LO has just turned 9 months old.

She's gone from having 5oz in the morning, 5oz in the afternoon and 7oz at bed, to refusing everything.

She has a round 10-15oz of water/very weak juice a day, and is eating like an absolute pig, but still refusing formula. She has yoghurts, cheese and cows milk (in breakfast) every day. Should I be using vitamin drops as a substitute?

We've tried putting formula in her juice bottle, changed teats, sippy cup etc, but with no joy.

I'm pulling my hair out over it! Is it normal?!!!

Thank you! 😊

Can you use formula on her cereal or does she refuse that too? Trying to work out if she doesn't like the formula (some taste pretty odd) or is just not wanting a 'drink'' of milk because she prefers food and juice.

I'd probably start only offering water to drink with meals just in case she prefers the taste of the watery juice to milk.

Other than that I don't know how you can make her drink it.

What are the timings of the meals and bottles (when she took them)?

What comes to mind immediately is that she is drinking A LOT of water/juice. My 2 year old doesn't drink anything close to 10-15 oz of water a day (and she doesn't drink any milk except a cup before bed). What if you cut back on water and juice and offering formula instead, so at mealtimes or in between meals, whenever you'd normally be offering something else? My guess is that her stomach is just really full with other liquids and food to want any milk. If you can imagine, her stomach is the size of her fist, so there's only so much that can fit in there. I'd prioritise the stuff that matters most. She will get plenty of hydration from formula for now. But yes, if she is consistently dropping below 500 ml a day, I would offer a vitamin supplement too.

I agree with the others. I feed 4 6oz bottles per day. I don't give any water or juice. I will start with water and milk at a year. Babies don't need water or juice at this age, it provides no nutrition to them and my doctor said that the juice is bad for their teeth right now.

I agree with the others. I feed 4 6oz bottles per day. I don't give any water or juice. I will start with water and milk at a year. Babies don't need water or juice at this age, it provides no nutrition to them and my doctor said that the juice is bad for their teeth right now.

At 9months a baby who has been weaned to take solids should be offered water along side their meals, I agree 10-15ozs is a lot of water at that age but to not offer any hydration between bottles of milk seems a little strange - is it your Dr who has said to not offer any water until 1 year?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->