9 month old to get blood test

happynewmom1

Reaction score
Her pediatrician wants her to get a blood test to test for lead. I guess this is a big issue in some states so it's precautionary. I'm driving myself crazy with concern. How do they take blood from a baby? Is it still in the heel at this age? I already feel horrible knowing it's something that will hurt her. Has anyone had a blood test with their baby? Was it quick? :(

HI. My baby had two blood tests when she was 5 months old. The nurse snipped her heel with scissors and pushed blood into mini test tubes. I think it depends on how well the blood flows out. For The first one we'd spend a few hours in a warm room beforehand so it was quicker but the second one my baby's foot was colder so it took longer and my daughter cried and cried.
Give them lots of cuddles and let them cry.

My dd2 has had a few blood tests from 1 week old (now 14 months). Apart from the normal newborn screening, they have all been taken with a needle. To be honest, so long as you have someone competent doing it, I think it's better with a needle. Much quicker than squeezing there foot for ages and ages!

I just hold her tight to me, and hold her arm quite firmly (you really don't want them to wiggle). A couple of minutes and it's all done. I give her a big cuddle and lots of kisses after and she has usually stopped crying before they even get a plaster on her.

She has had blood taken from her foot, but again with a needle not heel prick, but that was only pre about 3 months and when she was quite unwell so the were struggling for venous access.

I don't know at that age, but when my daughter was younger, she had blood drawn and it was from the hand. They might even be able to check for lead with a finger or heel prick test, but I don't know. We needed actually vials drawn, so it was from the hand. They gave her a bit of glucose under the tongue, which is supposed to calm them a bit and did it. It looked worse than it really was and she wasn't too bothered. You can also ask to feed her while they do it, either breast or bottle, as they often distracts them for a bit.

I think if it is a planned blood test they can use a numbing cream which you put on a few hours before (which really works - my LO felt nothing).

My dd2 has had a few blood tests from 1 week old (now 14 months). Apart from the normal newborn screening, they have all been taken with a needle. To be honest, so long as you have someone competent doing it, I think it's better with a needle. Much quicker than squeezing there foot for ages and ages!

I just hold her tight to me, and hold her arm quite firmly (you really don't want them to wiggle). A couple of minutes and it's all done. I give her a big cuddle and lots of kisses after and she has usually stopped crying before they even get a plaster on her.

She has had blood taken from her foot, but again with a needle not heel prick, but that was only pre about 3 months and when she was quite unwell so the were struggling for venous access.

Thank you all so much for the replies! They helped me so much. This is exactly what we did. They had to take it from the arm just like they would with us. I was wondering just how it would work at first but I held her tightly to me and the lady who did it was amazing so it went quickly! She did cry a little but was all smiles again as we left. I'm so sorry your LO had to go through that so much! Big hugs to you :hugs:

I always hate things like this so I appreciate the support from you ladies :flower:

Do you breastfeed? I know this advice won't be helpful if you don't but nursing has been a lifesaver for all of my kids when needles were involved. If not I think a good cuddle during and afterwards is probably the most you can do. Hugs to you! I would feel the same way.

P.s. Just realized you already went and all is well. So glad to hear it went ok!

Do you breastfeed? I know this advice won't be helpful if you don't but nursing has been a lifesaver for all of my kids when needles were involved. If not I think a good cuddle during and afterwards is probably the most you can do. Hugs to you! I would feel the same way.

P.s. Just realized you already went and all is well. So glad to hear it went ok!

Yes she is ebf!! She is a super distracted nurser when not around people.. Even in the dark haha so I don't think that would have worked for her. I wish it would though. I'm super relieved its over. Thanks for the reply! :)

Yes she is ebf!! She is a super distracted nurser when not around people.. Even in the dark haha so I don't think that would have worked for her. I wish it would though. I'm super relieved its over. Thanks for the reply! :)

Oh, haha, good point! My baby brain made me forget how distractible they are at that age. My son was horrible for feeding almost anywhere...I always thought he was starving but alas I guess that's normal :) Hopefully no more bloodwork for your LO!

Oh, haha, good point! My baby brain made me forget how distractible they are at that age. My son was horrible for feeding almost anywhere...I always thought he was starving but alas I guess that's normal :) Hopefully no more bloodwork for your LO!

It's ok haha baby brain is a real thing. I'm not sure my brain will ever be normal again :haha: I'd love it if she would nurse and not be so distracted.. Oh well.

BTW congratulations on your newest little one!!

It's ok haha baby brain is a real thing. I'm not sure my brain will ever be normal again :haha: I'd love it if she would nurse and not be so distracted.. Oh well.

BTW congratulations on your newest little one!!

Thank you so much, that's very sweet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->