9 Months Food

xCherylx

Pregnant and Mum of 1
Reaction score
Jack will soon be 9 months and we were thinking what kind of food he should have in one day. At the moment:
bottle and baby porridge
bottle and 1/2 veg jar
3 baby biscuits and yogurt
bottle and 1/2 fruit jar
night time bottle

We were thinking:
bottle and toast
bottle and sandwich with ham and a babybel or soup
biscuits and bottle
bottle and small baby jelly pot
night time bottle

Is it enough, too much? Should he be having bottle all them times? He has upto 6oz a time.

Caitlyn eats more than him already :rofl:

Caitlyn has porridge, and toast or a yogurt for breakfast
A cheese sandwich, or toast, or rusks or lunch.
And pretty much anything I feel like cooking that is alright for her for dinner and a yogurt.

Why not try eggs for breakfast?
Steamed veggies and mashed potatoes for lunch?
Soup?
Bottle for dinner?

I didn't think they were allowed toast etc until 9 months? Jack only just has his first two teeth coming through so he only just eat things like toast.

I think it all depends on your little one when the right time is to give finger food like toast. Ben won't eat anything but finger food at the moment. He just doesn't like being spoon fed. He has porridge or toast for breakfast. Lunch he'll have cucumber, little sandwiches, cheese, red pepper, pretty much the same as my 2 year old but without any over processed meats etc... Follow it with fruit/yogurt. For dinner he has whatever we're having but without salt or any of the food that they can't eat at this age. I also make sure everythings soft enough and the right size to prevent choking. I try to puree half his dinner too and spoon feed him that to make sure he gets plenty food into him. He also has lots of fruit and yogurts for puddings. I would feed him purees if i still could, he just won't take them anymore.... He eats almost as much as my 2 1/2 year old.

I found with my 2 its best to start with small portions, and if they ask for more they're probably still hungry and play it by ear. Just realised that made me sound like my kids eat loads, and will end up huge... They do eat a lot, but all good fresh stuff so not getting fat ;)
Sarah x

I've been reading a lot of posts about how you give your children toast or sandwhiches. Obviously your LO's are doing ok with them, but how in the world are they eating sandwhiches already? When are they allowed to have meat? Valerie just turned 8 months and has;

Breakfast: Breastfed; oatmeal
Snack: Banana puffs/yogurt melts/grapes
Lunch: Breastfed; Homemade baby food or Jar of veggie/fruit mix
Snack: Rusk or banana puffs (sometimes she has a little bit of fruit here)
Dinner: Breastfed; Jar of dinner baby food (pasta primavera; veggie risotto; etc)
Before bed she has 1/4 cup or less of brown rice cereal and is breastfed.

I see how she eats her food and snacks and have no idea how she could eat a sandwhich. I plan to start here in a month or two feeding her the food we eat minus the salt of course. xCherylx, I think what you have written down for your LO to eat looks fine. Is he a good eater? I wanted to show you what we were giving Valerie right now, since they are kinda close in age. Hope this helps a little.

Mine:

Breakfast: breastfeed+oatmeal porridge
Snack:fruit
Lunch:breastfeed+half a jar of baby food
Snack:fruit
Dinner:breastfeed+half a jar of baby food
breastfeeds few times through the night too (comfort sucking)

my LO is 6 months and eats:
breakfast: baby cereal (like the heinz oat and apple). about 3 big spoonfulls made u with water sometimes with half a jar of fruit puree.
lunch: small jar size of vege and same of fruit. If still eating i'll add on half a banana.
afetrnoon snack (more of a meal than a snack really...): fruit or veeg puree and baby rice
evening: heavier meal - veges and baby rice or porridge/baby cereal with fruit.

Doc told me I should be aiming to give him up to 250g per meal.

As he is turning 9 months though the HV said I should not buy anything in and he should eat what we eat, this is why I just wondered what your babies are/were having at 9 months. Jack is a good eater but lately he wants more when he has meals.

I am thinking of where to go from here also. At the moment Jacks meals are something like this:

7.00ish bottle
9.30ish bowl of ready brek / weetabix & toast (1 slice without crusts)
12.00ish bottle
1.00ish half jar of stage 2, yogurt
4/5.00ish full jar of stage 2 or similar homemade
7.00ish bottle & small bowl of ready brek / weetabix

He also has organix carrot sticks & sweetcorn rings as a snack in between most days. He had homemade beef & veg soup the last two days which he loved, & will have a sunday dinner chopped up into small enough bits. I am going to try to introduce more homemade food from now on, as he needs to get used to the taste (although he never refuses anything!) & it will be better for him (& cheaper for me :blush:)

Jack just wont bite anything other than biscuits and after he has bitten a little bit off he just sucks on it. Will he start biting it when his teeth are fully through? (I know all babies are different)

Caitlyn has 6 teeth, I think she started chewing after she got the 6th one.. Not entirely sure though x

Jack doesn't have any teeth yet, but has been chewing his food for a good while now. He will chew it when he is good & ready :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->