9 week old struggling with slow-flow teats

TrixieLox

Reaction score
I switched to slow flow teats as my LO started guzzling more milk and needed bigger bottles. I'd also read after a month, slow flow is best. But most of the time, she really struggles to get the milk out, especially as we need to add Gaviscon to each feed so makes it thicker.

We're using the Philips Advent 2-hole slow flow natural.

Can anyone recommend any good bottles that are big enough for 150mil+ feeds but don't make it difficult for LOs to draw the milk out? It's all so confusing!

Most bottle brands come in several sizes - I never even bothered buying the smaller 150ml size as I bf for the first few months and after that a baby would usually be up to the 260ml size anyway?

I use MAM and size 2 teats, he's been on those since we stopped bf at 14 weeks. I tried to go up to size 3 (fast-flow) but he choked and since it doesn't usually take that long for him to drink it, I just figured if it ain't broke..

We use tommee tippee and have had LO on the medium flow teats as she was on comfort milk which is thicker so she was getting tired of having to work to get her milk so would give up! Id say you deffo need to up the test size especially with the thicker formula.

Gaviscon is a feed thickener you need medium flow Hun just give the bottle 5 mins to stand after adding gaviscon

Hi. Is it the regular avent or the avent natural you are using? If you are using the regular avent and are giving a thickened feed then I would suggest using the vari-flow teat which has 3 flow rates in one teat. Last time I checked variflow teats were not available for the new avent natural range bottles. X

Avnet variflow is a nightmare for night feeds used them with my daughter for her thickened feed was always feeling for the embossed lines on the teat ha

I've never heard that you should use slow flow after a month, my los have only ever used slow flow for some reason it all used to gush out and they couldn't cope with it but id just go with baby switch to medium if he needs it no point making him struggle with slow flow what did he use before the month?

It's cos gaviscon thickens the feed sucking it out of a slow flow is really tiring for them x

It's only Avent that do newborn flow (size 1) the other brands start at slow flow and the hospital bottles are medium flow my son almost choked they were that fast lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->