9 Year Old Girl Troubles

Skylark123

Mum of 3
Reaction score
I have a 9 year old daughter who is very caring and gentle natured but recently she has become 'flighty' and has been bursting into tears at the slightest thing. It upsets me to see her so fragile and we feel like we are walking on eggshells at the minute. Is this normal or is it just the start of puberty do you think? :cry:

I'm not sure. My almost 8 year old DD is a bit like that, but then again so is my 6 year old boy.

My 8 year old is like this sometimes, it's like she has PMS as its on a cycle but minus the period! I'm almost certain it's hormonal... I would say puberty is on its way :-(

Normal and probably hormone related. My middle DD is 9 and she started getting like this over the summer. I don't remember how long it lasted with my elder DD but I did get a good break in the moodiness before hr sensitivity hit another peak at 12.

The flightiness and forgetfulness steadily increased with my eldest and is still pretty bad, but she is also just naturally disorganized and distractible. My middle Dd is really linear and methodical and now she is getting pretty spacey-- which is hard for me because I'm used to her taking care of her own business.

Thanks everyone it is so nice to know we are not the only ones going through this and it is normal. I think you are probably right that it is hormonal. I think part of me didnt want to accept my princess is growing up so fast and becoming a young lady. She has been hard work sometimes over the past few weeks and really tested everyones patience. I think we will be more understanding now and just give her space. We already did our 'TALK' when she was 8 about changes and periods etc but last night I sat her down and had another heart to heart. Thanks everyone and good luck with your daughters too :thumbup:

My almost 9 year old is totally like that. She has autism....so its her high drama, her ups and downs, mixed with autism frustration and drama. Glad to know its not just ours

Agree- normal. Our oldest was actually a later bloomer (most of her friends were wearing bra's and getting periods well before she did)- but I remember the hormones started well before the periods did. But the 6mos leading up to her period - I thought someone stole our girl and replaced her with an over sensative, cried at everything whiny child... LOL. She went from tough and silly and fun- to so sensative about everything and anything we said or did. It was, well, rought at times. But honestly, once her period came it was like a switch went off and we had our girl back! Go figure.

I would talk to her and see if there is anything going on at school or with her friends. Sometimes it can be due to something going on outside of the home that she is unsure how to handle or talk about. Just be careful not to make her feel pressured to answer. I had nightmares a lot as a child, and my parents sent me to talk to our pastor (as they didn't like psychologists), and it can help to have someone that is an outside figure that they can trust to talk with.

My 7 year old sister is like that! It truly is like she's having her period, mood wise. I have to be super careful of what I say or she'll say something nasty to me and run off crying. It's so strange and I'm happy my first LO was a boy lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->