A couple of home birth questions...

flubdub

Reaction score
I'm pregnant with my fourth baby and hopefully this baby will be born at home. I went to hospital all the other times.
A couple of questions;
How long did the midwives stay for after the baby was born?

And where did you deliver the placenta?
^this one is bothering me a bit. I won't be having the injection that makes the placenta come out as I hate it, however with my last baby, it took over an hour to push the placenta out, and I pushed for less than a minute to get the baby out!! It was tiring and annoying. I know they don't do it in the birth pool, so will I just be crouched in my living room? What did you do?

I had my baby in birth pool and had delayed cord cutting wich i believe helps with delivery of placenta afterwards, i tried delivering in the pool but it took some time and in the end i delivered it sat in my chair in the lounge. I had a shower curtain (£1 from asda) in the chair then some old towels laid out. My midwives (2) stayed for prob hour, hour an half and one of them even helped hubby empty the pool.

I had my baby in birth pool and had delayed cord cutting wich i believe helps with delivery of placenta afterwards, i tried delivering in the pool but it took some time and in the end i delivered it sat in my chair in the lounge. I had a shower curtain (£1 from asda) in the chair then some old towels laid out. My midwives (2) stayed for prob hour, hour an half and one of them even helped hubby empty the pool.

Thanks that's good to know. I did delayed cord clamping too, but I'm not sure it helped :( x

Mine was delivered in my bed. We had planned on leaving the cord intact at least until the placenta was delivered, the cord was really short though and after nearly 30mins of trying to manoeuvre him up to the breast to try and help we decided to cut the cord. As soon as it was cut the mw realised the placenta had dropped down.
They stayed for maybe 2hrs after birth. Made sure I was comfortable, baby was feeding and things were tidy, he had quite a long feed so they couldn't weigh him as quickly as they'd have liked plus the time spent waiting on the placenta

My MW stayed several hours after ds2 was born. I'm not sure exactly how long as I was in the bedroom enjoying my new baby as my MW cleaned up around the house. I think it was 5ish hours. My MW that I'm using this time around stays around 6 hours. The first 2 hours she checks in on baby and I to help with nursing, but likes to give around the first 2 hours for mom and baby to be alone. During that time she cleans up, makes some food, makes a "placenta smoothie", etc. Then after awhile she'll come in and weigh baby, take measurements, make sure baby and I are doing good and fills out some paper work. After that we'll talk about birth, concerns or not, etc. And then she'll just hang out and casually talk while she makes sure uterus is clamping down, baby is feeding well, and so on. She comes back the next day.

With ds2 I gave birth standing up in my living room. Once he was born I sat down on a stool behind me and waited for my placenta, I think it was 12 minutes. After that came out I went to the bedroom. This time I'm hoping for a water birth, but I'd like to get out just a few minutes after birth and go to my bedroom to birth the placenta.

My team stayed for a few hours...in fact we all ordered sushi and ate it with new baby lol!!! The placenta was delivered in the tub, but immediately taken for encapsulation. I hate pushing placenta out, too...it's like, hey my baby! Oh crap that, too?! Lol.

I had delayed cord clamping and natural placenta delivery. It took an hour and a bit to come out. It came out on my bed.

They only stayed about 2 hours but I was FF.

Xx

I had my baby in the tub and did delayed cord clamping, and then I got out of the tub and delivered the placenta maybe 10 minutes later into a mixing bowl on the living room floor. The midwives held me up in a squatting position and it came out after a good push, no problem.

The midwives stayed for about 4 hours after birth, but I lost a huge amount of blood and they wanted to make sure I was okay before leaving. I don't think there's a set amount of time they stay after birth -- they stay until everything is finished and it's safe to leave.

Ok thanks everyone. Im hoping the MW's dont stay for TOO long as its baby number 4 and i know my mw quite well so I hope they know we are able to look after baby ok.

I actually delivered the placenta in the pool!! I did delayed cord clamping and by the time we were ready to cut the cord, my placenta was ready to come out- about 5-10 minutes after giving birth. I had injections with my previous births so I wasn't expecting it to happen that quickly naturally, but it did. Midwife stayed a couple of hours after the birth too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->