A couple quick questions?

Bubsta

Love my Girl & baby Boy!
Reaction score
Hi, you would think that I would know this considering I already gave a child.... But I don't :blush:.

Is 'bloody show' and losing your mucous plug the same thing?

What does effaced mean? :blush:

What is a 'sweep'? Anyone know if they do that in Australia? When/why is it done?

Is there a way to tell if or how far dilated you are without a internal examination by midwife/OB?

Thanks. :flower:

This is as far as I know, could be a little off.

Bloody show is when you lose most of the mucus plug before labor starts(not always bloody though) as compared to people losing a little piece here and there (like I did at 29the weeks).

Effaced is basically the cervix thinning out, or getting shorter.

A sweep is where they separate the water bag from the cervix by sweeping it free with their finger. Im unsure about the guidelines in australia. But usually it is done near full term(40 weeks) and it is done to encourage labor.

As far as I know, an internal examination is the only routine way to know about being dilated. I believe an ultrasound could tell you, but im not sure they would do one.

Hope that helps :)

Yes, there the same thing.
you can loose your plug early (between 28-34weeks and it will basically form back).
And then youll loose it days before or even during labour and it can be without blood, contain a little bit of blood or alot of blood.

Effaced means the thinning of your cervix.

A 'sweep' is a natural way to induce labour. Its where your midwife inserts her fingers into the cervix (if its started to open) and make circular movements to try and detach the membranes, this can increase the chances of labour happening within 48 hours. Your midwife will suggest a sweep at 40 weeks, then again at 41 if you still haven't given birth.
I'm not sure if they do it in Australia, Sorry.

I don't think its possible to know you've started to dilate without a internal examination as its looking/feeling your cervix what tells you.

Hope this helps x

Thanks! I had a 'bloody show' with my DD just before labour started- I guessed that it was the same thing. :flower:
I went into labour 39wks 3days with her. Guess that explains why I wasn't sure about the whole sweep thing.
With so many referring to the fact that they were so many cm's dilated before going into labour made me think maybe there was some way of being able to tell. I only knew how far dilated i was when I was in active labour with my DD. I hadn't been checked before this (not surprising I guess, considering I failed to dilate past 2cm with DD! - didn't get checked after being induced mind you due to fetal distress).

Thanks for clearing that up for me! :flower:

Im in the US and my OB was checking me weekly after about 36 weeks as I was already 2cm. Had her at 38 +5 :) but I've heard many midwives don't bother as it doesn't tell much.

I'm seeing a different OB this time around. I'm now seeing him every 2wks. It will be interesting to see if he checks closer to the time. Thanks!

I'm in Western Australia and I haven't been checked... Ill be 41 weeks Monday and I know they will give me an induction date but not sure if they will do a sweep... Ill let u know what happens :)

I'm in Western Australia and I haven't been checked... Ill be 41 weeks Monday and I know they will give me an induction date but not sure if they will do a sweep... Ill let u know what happens :)

Ahh, thanks Mrs Bee! Good luck! Hopefully your LO will decide its time to come out before Monday and you won't need to be induced. That would be great if you update. Thanks! X

Im in SA and I heard a mw saying that she was going to do a strwtch and sweep on a lady in room b ....

So I think depends on your hospital/mw ...

Actually... They aren't the same thing :(
The plug is thick mucus and is literally likt eh plug to your cervix. The bloody show is always bloody (hence, bloody) and is in tiny bits, big bits, with mucus whatever, but is a sign of the cervix opening generally.

I spent a reasonable amount of time in hospital with both happening before my son was born, hence knowing a bit about this one :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->