A Letter To My Old School

laurac1988

Mummy to Eden
Reaction score
I posted something on my blog today that I would love opinions on. It's a letter to my old school that I intend to post in the next few days. Would love if you could have a look. It's on my TTC blog

https://weforgotthesperm.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/letter-to-my-old-school.html

I think you made a really valid point. Although its not just your old school the school I went to was the same. My college also never really discussed anything other than university and while it is my only route into the job I want to do (nursing) it's not what's best for everyone and does get a lot of people into unnecessary debt. I took 3 years out to have my babies so my friends have all graduated university now and a lot of them haven't gained anything other than thousands of pounds of debt and still don't have any better of a job other than the bar jobs or retail jobs they had when they started x

I think it's a really well written letter and I hope they take it on board. It really struck a chord with me, When I saw the title I just knew that's what it would be about. My school was TERRIBLE for this. University was the only choice. Didn't help that it was a girls school so going into a trade or apprenticeship was literally not mentioned. My husband went to the boys school next door which was even worse. They push academics so hard and neglect everything else. My husband knows nothing about simple DIY and i can't cook a meal. What happened to preparing you for life???

LUCKILY we're both academic and I didn't suffer as it unfortunately sounds like you did. I wanted to go to uni but even then they weren't happy. I needed an A in chemistry to get on my course, my teacher was adamant I wasn't bright enough. Possibly she was right, I got a B in the end but was 3 marks away from the A. I actually got in anyway WITHOUT the encouragement and support I needed off her.

My mum always talks about this as she wanted to be a lawyer and was told by her english teacher she wasn't clever enough. Well she got the grades to get in but by then her confidence was dented beyond repair by this horrible woman so she never go there

I just think teachers have no idea the impact they're having on impressionable young people. Say the wrong thing and BAM, someones life has changed forever. I'm so lucky I had the support of my family and belief in myself, otherwise I wouldn't be in the job I'm in now. My school was "excellent" and I did get a good education there which I'm thankful for but the pastoral care was zero.

Sorry you had to have that experience but you've done so fantastically it nearly had me in tears reading about your mum.

Thanks for the comments ladies. I had a feeling it wasn't just my school. Really makes me ill that they shove people towards something they might not want just for league tables... guess it's a double edged sword because if the school doesn't look good in the league tables some parents won't be interested...

with regards to my mum, it still hurts that she passed away, but she gives me the strength to be the best I can be. I know she'd be proud of me :)

I think its a great letter with a fantastic point to make and I hope they take note of it.

Hun that letter is fantastic. It's true though that so many schools are like that.

:hugs:

It's a great letter :hugs: Are you sure that the teacher that gave you bad advice is still working in the school though?

That letter makes a very good point. I think its common with a lot of schools.

My school was similar. It had no 6th form but they tried to force everybody into a certain one. We all had a meeting with a connexions advisor about age 15 or so and they brought out the brochure for one 6th form college and didnt even mention the rest of the local colleges or any other options for school leavers.

The college they try to send people to try to force people into a particular university. They even give them money if they go from that college to that uni! Completely unfair since most people i know who have done it have either hated that uni so much they dropped out or stuck it out being unhappy.

Amazing letter, so well written! Let us know how it works out babe. x

It's a great letter :hugs: Are you sure that the teacher that gave you bad advice is still working in the school though?

Yeah she is, but she's not my main point - merely an example. I do t want them to see it as a "complaint" - more of constructive feedback

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->