A pretty random question about breast milk?

RoxieHart

Baking #2
Reaction score
Okay so I breast fed my daughter at the beginning, i became hospitalised and told not to breast feed her due to the medication in my body. When I was finally well and advised all meds would have now been flushed out of me LO just wouldn't take to my breast, it was very difficult and my supply wasn't enough by that point. I regret not trying harder but I was all over the place as a new mum and just getting over how scary it was being ill...

ANYWAY to the point. I want to.. Infact I WILL be breast feeding my new little mr, and hope to breast feed for as long as possible but I have a really silly question ...

In the beginning with my daughter I had a crazy supply! Like so much, constantly soaking through everything, always leaking (before I got ill) I actually soaked through a whole sheet, no lie. Does it get to a point where you stop leaking? Like you have milk and a good supply when baby goes onto the nipple but you don't crazily leak anymore?

Just wondering haha .. Or is it breast pads forever?

Yes it settles down, I had crazy oversupply at the beginning, I'd be feeding my baby's face one end and her feet the other! Breastpads weren't enough a lot of the time, I had to wedge a towel between me and her to soak up the leaking milk! I was always covered in milk, half the time so was she. It took probably about 8 weeks to settle to the point where breastpads changed regularly were sufficient. Now at 9 months I can feed off one side without worrying about leaking from the other side. The only time I sometimes leak is back at work but I go 10 hours without feeding her so it's not surprising! I do know what a nuisance it is, one night I went to bed with 2 nappies down my top!!

Oh and if you have to take any medication next time remember a lot of drs just say you can't bf just cos they're scared of getting sued when actually if you check out sites like kellymom you'll find out it is actually ok to bf on. I've been v poorly since my lo was born and I've had quite a lot of meds and each time I've been told its fine to carry on bfing because my GP was really supportive and researched everything for me x

Oh and if you have to take any medication next time remember a lot of drs just say you can't bf just cos they're scared of getting sued when actually if you check out sites like kellymom you'll find out it is actually ok to bf on. I've been v poorly since my lo was born and I've had quite a lot of meds and each time I've been told its fine to carry on bfing because my GP was really supportive and researched everything for me x

Nappies! Haha I couldn't help but laugh!

Thank you! This is so helpful! And it's good to know that I can challenge doctors on the information they try to give me. I was a anxious first time mum and freaked out about harming my newborn! Feel a lot stronger now and can't wait to start breast feeding again!

Definitely calms down. I was leaking and squirting everywhere in the beginning but is much better now. I still wear nursing pads but more so "just incase" I leak. :)

Yes oversupply is normal at first and then baby regulates it, I have plenty for my little one but my breasts rarely feel huge and firm anymore and I only leak if a let down happens, not because I am over full. Baby is 9 weeks old :) X

I cant remember how long before it all settled down for my son but my little girl is 3.5weeks and im still squirting milk all on her face and bedsheets when she latches off haha! I have to use small flannel type towels in my bra as breast pads arent soaking up the milk and I leak through all my clothes

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->