A probably stupid question about carrycot part of pram...

shelx

Mummy to 2 gorgeous boys
Reaction score
We didnt have the carry cot part last time so im new to this.

I assumed some way that Baby would be strapped in when lying flat? :wacko:

The reason im asking this is because while out in town yesterday i seen 2 very small babies in separate prams, not strapped in?? I noticed the first as her mum was going up a step at the time and i thought wow.. What if she slides down? Babies both had no blankets on as it was warm which is how i could see.

Sorry if im being dumb :haha:

I'm a ftm so not there yet but I know when I take my goddaughter out in hers she's not strapped in and she doesn't tend to slip around.

Most carrycots do have the anchor parts for a seperate harness if preferred. My mum used to always strap us in using a 5 point harness when out and about, prams are not unknown to collapse or turn over so better safe than sorry xx

The carrycot on our m&p pram doesn't have straps. I've not seen any of the traditional flat ones that do. DD1 never slid around in it. I wouldn't take it up steps though.

I don't think my oyster carry cot comes with straps? I was thinking about it the other day!

No need for straps if you're being careful, but I definitely wouldn't be taking it up steps with a carrycot attached and baby not strapped! My Matrix Light 2 carrycot/carseat comes with straps, but I wont be strapping him in when it's on the pushchair, I don't go far though so it's not a big issue for me.

My pram also does not have straps....
https://i1354.photobucket.com/albums/q693/sue_881/EA1AA3B8-DC5C-4885-9CBE-0874CE4BF702-1453-000003653AC8B871_zpsc008c65d.jpg

There are D ring anchor points if I wish to attach one at some point. My pram definitely wouldn't collapse by itself, and pretty sure it wouldn't turn over so I'm confident with it to begin with. I will get straps if I feel like I want them after she's here. But I won't be doing anything as stupid as bumping it down some steps!!

I'v had 2 carrycots and neither had straps, i never even thought about it tbh!
Mind you saying that i didnt bump up and down staircases with them either! The most i do is go up and down kerbs and baby hardly even moved inside the carrycot.

All the pushchairs ive had have never had carrycot straps and we have never had issues & that includes going down very steep hills. I know a lot do have d rings on if you feel the need to add your own

X x

I've never used one that had straps and have never seen one out and about where baby is strapped in. To me the whole idea seems a bit OTT - the only time it might fall over is if you're being careless (these things are pretty stable!) and it's really not going to spontaneously collapse....

I've never used one that had straps and have never seen one out and about where baby is strapped in. To me the whole idea seems a bit OTT - the only time it might fall over is if you're being careless (these things are pretty stable!) and it's really not going to spontaneously collapse....

Actually the cosatto giggle does!

Really? Wow! Just seems crazy to me.

Does it also have a rollbar and a crash helmet for baby? :haha:

I get that some parents are going to worry about this sort of thing a lot more than I do, so I guess it's good that there are products that will cater to them. It's just that for me it seems like another health and safety overkill thing. xx

My OH used to be a bus driver and yes there were cases where babies fell out of prams when it was being put onto the bus, in one case there was a newborn who fell out and landed on the pavement, while he was driving. Thankfully the local hospital was just around the corner. He had to fill in a huge long accident report to absolve himself of any potential blame. Accidents can happen. I have seen prams tip up in the street as well. When we were young there wasn't any of this health and safety stuff but parents did more often use a separate 5 point harness when out and about with the carrycot than they would nowadays xx

Really? Wow! Just seems crazy to me.

Does it also have a rollbar and a crash helmet for baby? :haha:

I get that some parents are going to worry about this sort of thing a lot more than I do, so I guess it's good that there are products that will cater to them. It's just that for me it seems like another health and safety overkill thing. xx

It should do... :haha:

I personally never really thought about it till I saw this thread. I understand the need for them but I am sure most of them don't have them x

My OH used to be a bus driver and yes there were cases where babies fell out of prams when it was being put onto the bus, in one case there was a newborn who fell out and landed on the pavement, while he was driving. Thankfully the local hospital was just around the corner. He had to fill in a huge long accident report to absolve himself of any potential blame. Accidents can happen. I have seen prams tip up in the street as well. When we were young there wasn't any of this health and safety stuff but parents did more often use a separate 5 point harness when out and about with the carrycot than they would nowadays xx

Omg thats horrid!! :( poor bubs! I dont even know if mine has a harness after making this thread but now i think i will go check! X

ETA mine does, but probably because its one that changes from carry cot to stroller x

Omg thats horrid!! :( poor bubs! I dont even know if mine has a harness after making this thread but now i think i will go check! X

ETA mine does, but probably because its one that changes from carry cot to stroller x

My OH felt terrible. It was at a bus stop (when I say driving he wasn't literally foot on the pedal at the time) and he did lower the floor for the lady. The lady went hysterical as to how this could happen etc. The baby was unscathed thankfully but he was very shaken, he was shocked the baby wasn't strapped in but I said people think they don't need to. When chatting with other drivers several of them had similar happen on their buses too xx

I have an out n about 360 nipper with carrycot attachment. The carrycot does have a strap across tummy or blankets. Presumably as its designed for use during walking on rough terrain etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->