A question about the placenta at birth.

Haidee

Reaction score
Good day ladies,

I have a question. When my son was born (12 years ago), natural birht, the placenta came out first and then only did he. I wasn't in labour for very long and it wasn't a difficult one either.

When I saw my gyne in Oct 08 when we decided to ttc, I mentioned this to her and she asked if I didn't have any complications before and during birth. I did not think then to ask her what exactly she was referring to or meant. Now that I'm pregnant I am curious if this is normal or a problem etc.? :blush:

I have an appointment to see her only at the end of the month.

If anybody has any idea or info, please let me know.

Thanks!
Haidee
:hug:

That is definatly not normal. The placenta does not usually detach until about an hour after the baby is born. It's normally needed to keep the baby alive during labour - without it the baby cannot get any oxigen.

If the placenta detached first then I think you're very lucky that you baby was born alive...even if you pushed him out straight after he would have been starved of oxygen. Did he suffer any ill effects????

Oh dear! No wonder she looked shocked when I told her! Well I will definitely be discussing this with her in detail when I go for my first appointment on the 29th of Jan.
Thank you!
Haidee

Hi Hevz,
No there were no problems! The gyne I had then also did not say anything. The umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck though, but they cut that off very quickly. As I said, I had a very easy and quick labour/birth. His score at birth was 9/10 and then a few minutes later 10/10. He didn't cry or anything, he was just looking around and then closed his eyes and slept.
Thanks
Haidee

Wow....very, very lucky then.

My 1st son was starved of oxygen for a short amount of time, it damaged his heart and he died 28hours after birth as his heart wasn't strong enough:cry:

I think the chances are very minimal and I haven't heared of this before where a baby has survived. A few people I met through SANDS have lost babies because their placentas detatched:cry:

WOW, I never realised how dangerous the situation was! And the gyne then didn't even say a word.

Do you know if this tends to reoccur in pregnancies? What's my chances of this happening again?

Maybe you weren't told because your LO was fine and there was no need to worry you?

No idea if it is common to reoccur though, hope not hun :hug:

Maybe you weren't told because your LO was fine and there was no need to worry you?

Yeah, I thought that

Wow thats amazing, i agree with Shifter also, I dont think they'd want u to panic about it.

I will definitely be chatting to the gyne about the possibility of this reoccuring.

Wow thats amazing, i agree with Shifter also, I dont think they'd want u to panic about it.

wow! I can't believe they didn't tell you if it was a concern-at least for future pregnancies! I don't know if it is, but it is at least something to be informed about you would think... :hug:

Wow thats amazing ,you were so lucky with your LO, I don't know if it can reoccur but hope they can answer all your fears and questions at your appointment, take care :hugs: XX

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->