A question from a friend- can anyone help?

EstelSeren

Married Mum of 2!
Reaction score
I don't have any children myself, so I'm asking this on behalf of a friend. I got a text from her a couple of days ago saying that she is confused as her son has just been referred to a physiotherapist by the speech and language therapist he's been seeing for the past few months.

Her son just had his 2nd birthday in September and has been seeing a speech therapist for about 6 months. He seems to understand what you say and follows instructions but he says very few words. When he does speak he tends to use his own language rather than recognisable words and I've only ever heard him say individual words, no phrases or sentences, but he definitely associates the words he uses with what they mean (e.g. he points at a car and says 'car').

Basically, my question is: why would a speech therapist refer a child to physiotherapy?

Beca :wave:

Hi hun,

I would suggest she calls and asks, that way she can be prepared when she goes for the appointment. It maybe therapist has noticed other things that she think input would help him with? Very positive that understands and is pointing. Let us know if you find out hun, I would be interested to know. Hope all goes well for them. x

My daughter is having speech therapy and she is being refered to a physio.

The speech therapist feels Abi has some oral motor issues and wants a physio to do some excersies with her.Abi only uses a small part of her mouth to eat and she clicks not speaks.They want to see if there is something restricting her or see if they can get her using her mouth in other ways

maybe this is the case with your friends son?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->