A vent and a question!

Jewels

Wife & Aussie Mommy!
Reaction score
Hey girls, hope all is well with you. About 4 weeks ago, I finally stopped taking my antidepressant (took for anxiety)in preparation for TTC, and also because I figured I should be able to handle stuff without the help of an antidepressant. I was on Effexor - not one of the drugs ok to take during pregnancy. I wanted to time it so I wasn't getting off my BCPs at the same time. I've been doing well up until the last week, and just the last few days have been having a lot of anxiety again. It's so scary at times. :cry:

Deep down I think I should be able to cope without happy pills, however I have a lot of childhood stuff that I am working on, and that childhood stuff causes me anxiety. :hissy:

I'm kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place because I do better on meds, but they also mask stuff that I could be working on in therapy. I have learned a lot about how to better handle my anxiety, but sometimes it's just so overwhelming and spins out of control. Having all this anxiety makes me want to wait for a baby, but it could take me the rest of my life to come to terms with my shitty childhood.

I wanted to be off any meds during pregnancy and beyond. I'm going to see how the next couple weeks go, and how I feel. If I can't get the anxiety under control (I am really going to work hard to try and keep it under control), I may need to go back on a different antidepressant that's acceptable to take during pregnancy. :hissy:

What are your opinions on taking an antidepressant during pregnancy? I do have a friend who took an antidepressant during pregnancy and now has a healthy 2 year old boy. Have you heard any positives or negatives?

:dust:

I was on anti depressants when I was pregnant with my youngest, he's happy and healthy 4 year old,

if your worried speak to your doctor,, I think some say stop as a precaution

Hi there,

I just wanted to say that I no longer take the 'happy' pills anymore. Im sure that everyone has and is giving you advice. But all I know is that you just need to take each day as it comes.

I wish you all the luck in the world. I have all the confidence that you will get through it all.

Much :hug:

Kerry

:hug: Don't really know what to say...

I have a lot of anxiety problems, too. Have also struggled with OCD, PTSD and depression :( Always refused drugs through personal choice because of bad experiences with my father and antidepressants...

You *can* do it without the pills, hun. I have faith in you, and if you ever need to talk we're here :) I think doctors all differ in the opinions in pills during pregnancy; some say no because of the potential affect it could have on the foetus, others say that the benefits outweigh the risks (none deny the risk is there).

Obviously you know you need to think carefully about this. You seem to want to come off of the pills for your self, and that is positive progress. You need to be realistic, though and if things are getting on top of you, and you can not carry on without them, then you may need to think about what will be a bigger risk to your baby when you conceive - the brain-chemical-altering treatment, or the anxiety... I feel for you so much - like you say, you really are between a rock and a hard place! :( :hug:

I admit I'm a little biased on this one (bad personal experiences lead me to believe that drugs are bad - they lead you to develop dependencies, and you begin to feel you can not cope without them - because the initial problem remains untreated on a 100% drug - 0% therapy regime, but like I say, that is largely influenced by my own personal experiences - and everyone's personal experiences differ - some people have very positive results from antidepressants).

I'm a big fan of therapy - I had to try a couple before finding a combination that worked for me (Parks Inner Child Therapy and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy), and while drugs can cover up the symptoms i.e. dull down your emotions, the original problem can only be dealt with through therapy. HOWEVER if you are not ready to tackle that problem, then don't rush yourself - there is nothing wrong with needing a little help. It is very healthy and positive that you acknowledge the underlying problem is there and are working towards attacking that with therapy, rather than covering it up with long-term drugs.

All the best, hun x :hugs: x

Just reading your post i can relate to alot of it i started worrying that becoz im on anti depressants i dont deserve to have a baby, maybe coz people will think i cant take care of a child becoz of it. Do u worry about that or is it just the effect any medication could have on the baby?

:hug: Don't really know what to say...

I have a lot of anxiety problems, too. Have also struggled with OCD, PTSD and depression :( Always refused drugs through personal choice because of bad experiences with my father and antidepressants...

You *can* do it without the pills, hun. I have faith in you, and if you ever need to talk we're here :) I think doctors all differ in the opinions in pills during pregnancy; some say no because of the potential affect it could have on the foetus, others say that the benefits outweigh the risks (none deny the risk is there).

Obviously you know you need to think carefully about this. You seem to want to come off of the pills for your self, and that is positive progress. You need to be realistic, though and if things are getting on top of you, and you can not carry on without them, then you may need to think about what will be a bigger risk to your baby when you conceive - the brain-chemical-altering treatment, or the anxiety... I feel for you so much - like you say, you really are between a rock and a hard place! :( :hug:

I admit I'm a little biased on this one (bad personal experiences lead me to believe that drugs are bad - they lead you to develop dependencies, and you begin to feel you can not cope without them - because the initial problem remains untreated on a 100% drug - 0% therapy regime, but like I say, that is largely influenced by my own personal experiences - and everyone's personal experiences differ - some people have very positive results from antidepressants).

I'm a big fan of therapy - I had to try a couple before finding a combination that worked (Parks Inner Child Therapy and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy), and while drugs can cover up the symptoms i.e. dull down your emotions, the original problem can only be dealt with through therapy. HOWEVER if you are not ready to tackle that problem, then don't rush yourself - there is nothing wrong with needing a little help. It is very healthy and positive that you acknowledge the underlying problem is there and are working towards attacking that with therapy, rather than covering it up with long-term drugs.

All the best, hun x :hugs: x

I totally agree with alot of what uve said. I have been on and off anti-depressants since i was 19 and imnow 26 and each time i go back on them its worse then the time before. I now really dont want to have to keep taking them but im scared that i wont be able to "be ok" without them im woried i will be at rock bottom. Ive had 8 session of brief counciling offered thru my docs but i feel its only just began to touch the surface.

Sorry nothing baby related but just wanted to say i agree :)

Hey,

I used to be seeing a counsellor for depression and self harm issues but i found that talking things through only helped me partly. However, i don't really know all that much about anti depressants and pregnancy, i just wanted to say i hope you feel better soon:hugs::hugs::hugs: xxx

Hey, I saw countless counselors throughout my depression - none helped. None even BEGAN to help... (although it does work for many people). Therapy is totally different, though - It tackles the issues you are facing and helps you to alter your mind-set and habitual reactions to situations, effectively making you 'better'.

It can take time and persistence to both find a therapy that works, a therapist who you get on with, and then you need to stick at it, and it requires total honesty not just with your therapist but with yourself.

There are reasons that you behave the way you do (both physical and mental behaviour), and coming to know those reasons will help you to identify 'bad' mental behaviour as and when it occurs, and stop yourself.

I really wish all you girls the best with your journeys to good mental and emotional health :hugs:

I walked on hot coals. I know really random but it made me realise that I can do something if I believe in myself. I defo recommend cognitive therapy. Sorry forgot to add in my last post.

Jewels, I'm on Prozac and my dr. said it would be totally okay to take while pregnant. I've discussed it with DH and I am going to continue to take Prozac while pregnant. I won't breastfed though. I've been on anti-depressants since I'm 17 and have been hospitalized every time I have come off of them, so don't want to put myself, my baby or my DH through that. So, as long as dr says the prozac won't harm the baby, I'll continue to use it. I've also done a lot of research on it and there's really no concrete evidence of the medicine affecting an unborn child. I may stop taking it in the last trimester though, but haven't decided on that yet.

Do what feels right for you and discuss it with your doctor and DH.

Just reading your post i can relate to alot of it i started worrying that becoz im on anti depressants i dont deserve to have a baby, maybe coz people will think i cant take care of a child becoz of it. Do u worry about that or is it just the effect any medication could have on the baby?

For me it's more just being concerned about the possible effects of taking a medication while being pregnant. I just wouldn't want it to harm our baby..

Yes I am currently in cognitive behavioral therapy, and am definitely going to continue with it. The majority of my problems lie in the way I react to different things that come up. I tend to scare myself, then my anxiety spirals out of control.

I had a scary thought a few days ago about harming our children (even though I know that I would never even dream of doing so!!!). It just scared the hell out of me - how could I have a thought like that?! I know that everyone has odd thoughts from time to time, but I really blew it out of proportion, and turned it into something that it isn't. I'm aware that I would never actually act on anything like that, but I'm having a bitch of a time getting it out of my mind now, so it's freaking me out even more. :hissy:

I also went to therapy while I was on my anti-depressants, but thought that I was at the point where I would be able to cope without. I KNOW I can. I just think I'm not being diligent enough in using my coping methods. I really don't want to have to rely on a drug. I am very frustrated. :cry:

:hugs: I really have no frame of reference on this, but I just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->