adjusted age vs actual age??

seekingbaby#1

Reaction score
Hi ladies. My son is 1 month adjusted and 4 months actual (born 28w6d 1lb 13oz 14in). He now weighs 11lbs, do I chart him on a adjusted age chart or actual age chart?? I'm confused about actual and adjusted age. It seems like if I use the adjusted age charts he's doing good with his weight and length (21 in). Also, does this mean that he'll catchup by 2 years old? Does anyone have a preemie that's growing well by there adjusted age? This is soo confusing. He acts like a 2month old, he's smiling and making lots of sounds (cooing)

Andrew was born at 29 weeks, so is 8.5m actual age and 6m corrected age. He is always charted at his corrected age, and all development is monitored in relation to the corrected age.

Your son is doing really well for being born at just under 2lb and reaching 11lb at 4 months actual - Andrew's taken 8 months to reach that point!

Thanks, is your son on a high calorie formula? Or breastfed? Aiden is on a 22cal formula (neosure). How is your son doing with his developmental milestones? Typical 4month olds are sitting up, but my son isn't. But compared to a 1 month old Aiden is advanced.

seeking baby i had my LO at 27+4. She is only sitting up for a few seconds and is 7 months corrected. Not all full term babies can sit up at 4 months.

I had issues with comparing LO to full term and it was stressing me! I had to forget about it - you just have to let LO do things in their own time. :hugs:

Thanks, is your son on a high calorie formula? Or breastfed? Aiden is on a 22cal formula (neosure). How is your son doing with his developmental milestones? Typical 4month olds are sitting up, but my son isn't. But compared to a 1 month old Aiden is advanced.

Andrew was bottle-fed expressed breastmilk for the first seven months, and recently switched over to high-calorie formula to help his growth - and it's working, he was putting on 100g/week and now he's putting around 135g/wk.

Development wise, well we were at the Paediatrician's last week and she said that he seems bang on target for his corrected age of 6m - grabbing his feet but not quite putting his toes in his mouth; rolling over back to front occasionally but not sure where to put the "spare" arm; that kind of thing. He's got a Physio appointment on Friday, and I'm hoping she'll say the same thing about him doing fine.

Oh, and he can only sit up when propped just now - he still tumbles to the front or back. I thought this was normal for 6m, to start sitting at this point but to not be fully balanced until 8 or 9m.

In terms of weight & length my HV charts the boys against their corrected age. They are on about the 50th percentile for their corrected age & have now come onto the bottom line uncorrected.

For development babies catch up slowly & are expected to catch up fully by the age of two. My boys are 8 months old (6 months corrected) and have been able to sit up unaided since 7 1/2 months uncorrected and roll both ways since about 6 months uncorrected. I think that they have probably almost caught up now & are probably only a few weeks behind where they should be.

At a twins group I go to there are two sets of twin girls who are the same age as my boys (neither set were prem) & one set has been sitting up since 5 months & the other set sat up at the same time as my boys which goes to show that all babies are different regardless of whether they were premature and they will do things in their own sweet time!!

Until they are 2 they go by their corrected age! Well our Healthcare teams do here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->