Advanced Maternal Age???

hoping4XX

Reaction score
My OB placed a sticker on the front of my chart AMA during my 4th pregnancy. When I asked what that was - Advanced Maternal Age. I was shocked. I loved most of the doctors at the practice but seriously - why do I have to be labeled- literally? I will be 39 on Monday and hope to have baby #5 in 2012 but not really looking forward to that term.

I have excellent blood pressure, exercise, eat my fruits and vegetables, not overweight, don't smoke, drink - (well some). Oh well just venting.

My OB placed a sticker on the front of my chart AMA during my 4th pregnancy. When I asked what that was - Advanced Maternal Age. I was shocked. I loved most of the doctors at the practice but seriously - why do I have to be labeled- literally? I will be 39 on Monday and hope to have baby #5 in 2012 but not really looking forward to that term.

I have excellent blood pressure, exercise, eat my fruits and vegetables, not overweight, don't smoke, drink - (well some). Oh well just venting.

The cheek of it!!:growlmad: oh well, at least it is just a label and you know better than to take it to heart! you sound a perfect healthy specimen and 4 children later is the proof of that!
:thumbup:

I am 39. The fact of the matter is that we ARE of an advanced maternal age!

Try to think of it in a positive light, meaning you are going to receive the best possible monitoring available. Don't forget there are medical guidelines they HAVE to follow for a reason. You are not the label, your age is!

I have already had 2 blood draws and I am going for my second untrasound on Monday. I am only 6 weeks! I have an amazing doctor who is female and only about 5 years older than I am. When I asked her if I am too old to have a baby, she laughed her head off! She told me if I conceived it, then the Lord thinks I am young enough. That's good enough for me!

I say screw em and just smile and nod...that's what I do. ;)

I am 39. The fact of the matter is that we ARE of an advanced maternal age!

Try to think of it in a positive light, meaning you are going to receive the best possible monitoring available. Don't forget there are medical guidelines they HAVE to follow for a reason. You are not the label, your age is!

I have already had 2 blood draws and I am going for my second untrasound on Monday. I am only 6 weeks! I have an amazing doctor who is female and only about 5 years older than I am. When I asked her if I am too old to have a baby, she laughed her head off! She told me if I conceived it, then the Lord thinks I am young enough. That's good enough for me!

I say screw em and just smile and nod...that's what I do. ;)

Yea...what BEG said...

I think they do that for anyone over 34 or so, mainly to alert anyone seeing you during your pregnancy.
It could be worse, a girl I used to work with had her doctor refer to her as having a 'geriatric pregnancy' :jo:

I think they do that for anyone over 34 or so, mainly to alert anyone seeing you during your pregnancy.
It could be worse, a girl I used to work with had her doctor refer to her as having a 'geriatric pregnancy' :jo:

Yes I've heard that term too and it's still used widely here in UK. If and when I get a BFP I'll be 'elderly primigravida'. I'm hoping that I won't worry about the labels because I'll be so happy to actually be pregnant but being totally honest I really don't like the terms but what can we do?? :shrug:

Ok guys I guess you are right. Thanks for staying positive.

You are doing great! Keep your resolve, you are already the best advocate for yourself and your baby...to hell with the rest!

Have a great day! :)

I must be a dinosaur because I'm 43. My son was born when I was 39/40..

I hate that term:dohh:
It makes you feel like the egg timer has gone off !!

Unfortunately, the reality of things is that we are of advanced maternal age!
Our eggs are the same ones we've had since we were conceived and a fetus in our mothers wombs. Older eggs are more prone to nondisjunction during meiosis, meaning improper division of chromosomes, hence the higher risk of Down syndrome and other chromosomal abnormalities. Men, on the other hand, make fresh sperm daily. The cheek of them ;-)!!! It helps to keep in mind that women of ALL ages are at risk of nondisjunction (have followed many women in their 20's with Downs babies), we just need that extra bit of attention and proper follow-up due to our eggs' age :)

Glad no one put a "label" on my chart when I went in with my first pregnancy...at age 39! In fact, my OB was kind enough to share that her mom gave birth to her when she was 42! (And she turned out to be a beautiful, brilliant Dr.!) So, there you go...let 'em talk, I suppose. We can just smile and bear it with the grace, wisdom and elegance that only comes...with age! ;)

I say give me all the extra care possible! Booo on labels but if the result is something positive like extra pre-natal care. I will show them I am 40 happy, healthy and ready to be a Mom!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->