Advice from Experiences Mums about Potty Training Boys

Peas

Reaction score
I would really appreciate any advise/hints from you experienced mums about how you got your son successfully toilet trained.

Im dreading this. My 2 year old son shows very few signs of being ready but I still place him on the toilet before his bath and say 'wee wee' and he knows if he sits there for a minute no matter how much he hates it, I will reward him with a chocolate button as I know this is they only way he will stay on without crying/getting upset.

Am I doing right? what next?

Thank you so much

Title should say 'experienced' mums, sorry :o

DS is 4 and he's only because toilet trained in the last month - basically since being at school full time.

My main advice (as i don't think i did that well given that he was 4 before trained and he's still in nappies at night!) is to not push it before he's ready. I think this is what i did with Daniel and it made it a lot harder for me. I was so pressured into getting him done as earlier as possible that i didn't look to see if he was showing any interest in it and i know now that he wasn't.
It might not be the case but if it was me i would think that i was being given the chocolate for sitting on the potty, not for doing a wee so i don't think he'll put the two things together.

Is he showing any signs of wanting to wee on a potty etc?

Thank for replying. He shows no interest whatsoever. Perhaps if I put him in pull ups je might ask to be changed as he'd feel more discomfort because they have less absorbency?

The best advice I can give (after training 2 boys) is let them do it in their own time.

I have had 2 very different experiences. My eldest took a whole year to train and was only out of day nappies at 2 1/2 years old and was in night nappies until he was 5-6 years old, I feel as he was my first I tried to hard with him, maybe even pused him a lot and he regressed a lot because of that.

My youngest was potty trained within 2 weeks and was out of day nappies by 21 months and night nappies by 23 months, I dint push him I let him lead, if he wanted to use the potty then so be if not then we didnt push it. We left the potty within sight and reminded him what it was for, he came to the bathroom with us, so he could see what the toilet was for. One day just after he turned 21 months he came to me took his nappy off and asked for the potty and that was it, he basically trained himself in 2 weeks.

The difference with the two was, with Dan I felt he HAD to be trained by a certain age and pushed him ALOT, with Dec I knew he had plenty of time and would train when he was good and ready.

Hope this helps xx

Thank for replying. He shows no interest whatsoever. Perhaps if I put him in pull ups je might ask to be changed as he'd feel more discomfort because they have less absorbency?

I would say pull-up are a big no, it feels just like a nappy, if you want him to feel the wetness just go straight to pants, but I will be honest and say it sounds like he just isnt ready yet xx

tbn I am not pushing it at all Mckenzie (26m) doesn't say when he has a dirty nappies until I ask whether he has done a poo or do u need a nappy change.

But When I was changing his nappy in city he saw the little toilet and he asked to sit on the toilet for a wee and he did a huge wee on it all praises :) I told oh and he wanted to go out straight away to get a trainer seat for toilet lol Oh keeps pushing it telling him to sit on potty then we get tears cos he doesn't want to thus I ask now and again and sometimes he says yes and sometimes no!!

He is only 2 so I wouldn't worry about it I not actively going to give him nappy free time until it gets warmer around April time when he is 2 1/2

My son was a couple months short of 3 but after 2 days of having a few accidents a day, he's had very few. Within 2 weeks of being dry in the day he's was dry at night and I think he's wet the bed once in over 6 months.

I definitely think leaving them til they are ready is key. I told my boy want a potty was for and left it lying around really. When they've done a few wees by themselves you can start giving incentives if you want like stickers/sweeties but until they are already willing, I don't really think it works very well. That's my personal opinion though :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->