Advice on milk dribbling out of babies mouth

jenniferannex

Reaction score
So my LO is nearly 4 weeks old, she was 8lb 7.5oz at birth, lost 7oz and struggled to get back up to birth weigh, but is now weighing a healthy 8lb 14oz but has taken 4 weeks to gain 7oz, HV wasn't concerned just said she is a slow gainer.
Anyway, i used tommee tippee bottles with the slow flow teat, but at every feed so much milk is coming out of her mouth as she sucks, it's just constantly coming out I'm having to change her bib 3 times per feed. She has 4oz but I'm wondering if she's only getting maybe 2 as so much is coming out and maybe that's why her weight gain is slow? She is always satisfied after her bottles though and never cries for more.

Can you ladies suggest anything? Maybe different bottles? I thought of a vari flow teat but I'm assuming that would just be worse as more would come out the harder she sucks?

Ours does this too, with nipples that are too fast of a flow or if she doesnt like the nipple shape for some reason...we actually had some of the tommee tippee bottles, but she dribbled really bad with them...you could try changing the nipple flow speed, but it might just be that she doesnt like the bottle/nipple? We have gone through a few different brands of bottles to find ones that little girl likes..and so far she likes the Mam anti colic, playtex ventaire and evenflo purely comfi (or advanced)

My DS did this up until a few weeks ago. I thought it may be from adapting to sucking a teat (I BFed initially). Maybe mention to the health visitor.

I think if she's satisfied after feeds, she's getting enough. I was on the verge if trying new bottles before he grew out if it. Maybe something to consider if it continues.

Dd2 did this with the TTCTN bottles. We found (after trying lots!) the Dr Browns were great. Once she had her tongue tie cut at 7 months we switched to the mam anti colic bottles but used the dr b's teats with them.

Have they checked for tongue tie?
DD was the same with tommee tippee bottles. The milk dribbled out so much I wasn't sure how much she was drinking. I tried lots of different bottles and the MAM teats are the best. They are flat in shape and easier for baby to latch on. The dribbling stopped and I soon didn't even have to use bibs!
I think it's a case of trying different teat shapes. NUK do an orthodontic shape teat which might also be worth a try.

Thank you ladies for your advice! I ended up buying a mam bottle to try, and she hasn't dribbled atall the last 2 feeds and she seems to feel more comfortable with the teat like you all said they are the best ones! So I'm off to buy some more today :) I will double check with my HV aboht tongue tie though just to be on the safe side.

Thank you again xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->