Advice please! Failed at bf first child

charin88

Reaction score
Hi, I'm popping in from 3rd tri. I breastfed my 1st son for 6 weeks. I ran a high fever and felt like I had the flu as soon as my milk came in. I had mastitis multiple times running high fevers to where family would constantly have to be over to take care of both me and my son. My son cried CONSTANTLY. So, to put it nicely, we were miserable and I had some postpartum depression. I finally gave up after 6 weeks bc I felt so incompetent constantly being sick and not being able to tend to my own child.

I had very little fat in my milk. There was no separation when storing milk in refrigerator. He nursed a lot. I had friends with babies the same age and he nursed much longer and much more often than their babies. Around 3 months we found out my son had reflux and a milk allergy so maybe that had something to do with him nursing so often and being so angry. I have implants which probably works against me. Anyways, all that being said, has anyone had lots of issues with bf child #1 and had success with #2? Any advice on preventing recurrent mastitis? I SO badly want to be successful this time around.

Please, please no negative comments bc I have raked myself over the coals with guilt so many times for not being successful at it.

I havent been in your position but have read of many mums on here that have successfully bf their second child after struggling with their first. All i would say is to find out if there are any bf groups in your area and go to them after lo has arrived. They are a great support and very hands on.If you have any problems they are armed with knowledge to help.:thumbup:

You would never get any negative comments, you tried your best and it didn't work out, nothing to feel guilty about.

The only thing i would say, did you get your latch checked? It may be that he wasn't draining the milk effectively due to poor latch/tongue tie etc.

Milk allergy and reflux definitely won't have helped your cause, try having a read of kellymom, sure she talks about these sorts of issues.

Oh and don't worry about the fat composition of your milk, just let baby be the judge.
Good luck for next time, and don't be afraid to ask for professional advice, and remember those first few weeks are always pretty draining due to constant growth spurts. But once you're over that, it should be a lot more enjoyable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->