Advice to extend breaks between feeds for snacker baby?

JayDee

Sunshine and rainbow
Reaction score
Hi
Just wondered if anyone has any experience to share with me.
DS2 is 3 months old and wants to feed every 2 hours (or less) during the day. I know my job is to feed him but I have another child to feed/get to school/play with as well. Sometimes he will only feed for 15 mins but others he will take longer effectively giving me an hour before he wants feeding again. I can't even get in the car and go to the supermarket in that time, let alone have time to play with baby....
My HV suggested a formula supplement if I feel comfortable and it's getting too much for me, I don't yet. He already has an expressed bottle on an evening.

Thanks in advance x

My monster likes to snack some/most days, I've found if I keep him occupied/distracted so not feeding him the second he shows signs like when he was younger, he will go longer between the feeds and will then actually be hungry rather then peckish when he feeds and tends to be faster and takes a full feed. I never wait until he's crying though only until he's starting to moan/be unsettled if that makes sense?
May work for u or may not.

Becki x

Thanks, it helps a bit but he goes from happy/smiling/playing to screaming for food in the blink of an eye! Being physically away from me helps too, but not practical when DH is at work, he does help when he's not though.

My lo can do that too, seems to have got better recently though.
I'm ok as I only have him so days when he wants to camp out I let him. Have you tried a sling? I keep meaning to figure out how to feed in mine, that way you could feed lo whilst playing with the other?
When it comes to your eldest could you have certain things you do together during feeding times, maybe dedicate it to reading/drawing/painting/play-doh time? Or if you're going out to play maybe go to the park/soft play (effectively somewhere you can sit and feed) I don't know how independent your eldest is?
I personally would avoid the formula supplement especially if its not needed its just a case of lo needing to speed up.

Edit: don't want that to sound anything bad about formula and if you find you need to do that then go for it, I just think its worth trying other things first :)

Becki x

I don't think you should be forcing a schedule at that age. However, if there is any ambiguity about whether he is hungry, try something else other than nursing. If what he is seeking is just comfort, offer it in some other way, like by holding him. But if he is hungry, it's important IMO to feed him and not ask him to wait.

Have you tried nursing in a sling or carrier? That could allow you to get more stuff done despite the frequent feeds.

Just to clarify I wasn't meaning to make it sound like I was saying to put baby on schedule or ask him to wait. As I said I never allow my baby to get to the point of crying, however I have found that as he has got older the first "hunger cues" do not necessarily mean he is actually hungry - my son can sleep 9 hours straight at night, if he is busy he will go a few hours, so I know he doesn't need to feed every hour even though he would if offered it at every slight "hunger cue" (few mouthfuls, at a time and camp out wanting me to leave my boob there for him to come on and off as he desires! Lol!) like you're supposed to whilst establishing breastfeeding. If he was showing he really wanted milk every hour (say a growth spurt) then I give it to him.
Does that make sense?

Becki x

Definitely :thumbup: I think you have the right idea. You were right to offer as much as possible while establishing your supply, but now you can pause and try to determine whether feeding is what he really wants.

Hi, thanks for your input both of you.
I am going to avoid the formula, he will be switched when I go back to work so am going to hold out as long as possible. He is also refusing a bottle of expressed milk at the min so wouldn't help anyway.
I also don't think babies should be forced to a schedule, and happy to be baby led to a certain extent, I just feel that he could feed for longer less frequently (feed normally takes 10-15 mins) rather than little and often. Maybe he will as he gets older, he is still quite young really isn't he?

Yes he is still quite young. I've personally noticed my lo has been slowly extending the time himself over the last week, especially when out and busy, I still offer (especially with the change of weather as I don't want him getting dehydrated) but he is definitely going longer, or if he does feed it's more like a few mouthfuls for less than a minute almost like he's just having a quick drink. My lo is nearly 4 months so maybe you'll see the same pattern soon?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->