Afraid of the dentist?

Smile181c

Mummy to 3!
Reaction score
I'm terrifed :(

I haven't been for a checkup in like 3 years now and I have really bad toothache so have no choice but to call the emergency dentist and get an appointment. I literally feel sick and my work colleagues keep commenting on how I am really pale/teary looking...I haven't even called to make the appointment yet!

Does anyone have any tips to overcome this fear? It hasn't come from a bad experience or anything, I'm just petrified of even stepping foot in the building!

:cry:

I haven't been since 2003. I feel your pain!

:hugs: my colleague has just went through the same, she was in so much pain she had no choice but to go to the dental hospital the other day and she was in a real state about it.

She had to go to her own dentist a few days later and they were aware she was worried and they have been really nice. Now she feels a LOT better than she did even a week ago about going to the dentist. She needs a bit more work done, but she isn't so worried now.

i don't have the best advice here but make the appointment , you need to, and you may well be surprised!

I bit the bullet and called. Didn't quite manage to get through the whole phone call without crying but they've noted me down as a 'nervous' patient (understatement of the century) and I have to go at 1.30 and wait to be seen :argh:

I'll be registering with a dentist after this (OH will force me) so hopefully that will ease some of the fear not having to see strangers? Idk.

Wish me luck :)

Good luck hun!!! xxx

Good luck. Try your best to relax, and I hope it goes well :hugs:

Urgh yes! I had a bad experience as a child, well a bad dentist, who scared me (and pretty much half of my town lol, we only had 2 dentists) for life! I didn't go for about 4 years but then he was struck off though and after a couple of years of pain in a tooth he'd filled I decided to bite the bullet and go. I had to have a root canal and even though I didn't have any numbing it was still a much better experience than with my old dentist, and the dentist was really kind as she knew I was nervous. I have to go for a check up soon and although I've been putting it off I know I won't be as nervous as last time.
Good luck! :hugs:

I wouldn't say I was afraid of the dentist but I'd rather not go unless I really have to. I went a month ago for the first time in years and they were so nice and friendly. Even though my cavity was very deep, my filling didn't hurt at all and I was fine chilling out on the chair while they did their thing.
Honestly, you will wonder what you were worrying about after!

I hate the dentist more than most doctors since even a simple teeth cleaning hurts! :growlmad: They normally need to put the heart rate monitor on my finger since they're nervous about how terrified I am. :blush:

I tell them I'm scared, super nervous and have a sensitive mouth and that normally makes them go a little slower, but much, much less painful!!

First step is getting the guts to call - which you did. Second is letting them know how nervous you are - which you did. Third step is going and not running the opposite direction when they call your name. :lol: Try to stay calm and just tell them you're nervous. :hugs::hugs:

Thanks guys :hugs: I managed to let them give me a filling, even though they wanted to take the tooth out :wacko: I couldn't get my body to stop shaking the whole time though.

They've referred me to an anxiety management clinic for the rest of my treatment which is good as they can actually sedate you there. They'll also work with me to overcome my fear so just gonna wait for an appointment letter!

I used to really hate dentists. I find most of the ones I went to were evil. I can remember having a tooth removed and she did the injection but didn't wait for it to kick in and just got on with it. I was in so much pain.

3 days before I was moving to Germany I had terrible toothache so I went in hoping they might be able to do something. She said I would need a root canal on the second to last tooth on the left. She said it couldn't be done there and then and I'd have to go back next week (which I couldn't). As soon as I arrived in Germany I went to the dentist here and she did xrays etc and said it wasn't the second to last tooth causing problems it was in fact the last tooth. So yeah I could of had a root canal done for nothing.

My dentist here is lovely and I have no fear of them now. She is really patient with you and stops even at the slightest discomfort. If they were all like that then I don't think so many people would be scared of them. Hope you get it sorted.

Theres a lot of really poor information in this thread. I cant even address it, and I wont do so here, as it really will do nothing but kick a hornets nest.

But I advise everyone to TALK with your dentists before you diagnose yourself/already know everything/imply that anyone is ignorant.

I really commend you for calling and making an appt! Good for you! You did the right thing to let them know up front about your anxiety, I know that I personally will spend extra time with a patient and slow things down and find simpler ways to do things. We dont want to be a place you hate to come, we are here to help :) It can be a very scary thing, but ask lots of questions and make them explain things if you dont understand, it will help! :flower:

I have sedation, makes the whole experience much more pleasant. I've always been nervous and always had numbing issues, but took a horrible dentist to push me over the edge, so now see a dentist who deals with nervous patients. I've had work done with him both with and without sedation, but have sedation for more extensive work such as root canals.

A understanding and kind dentist is all it takes, I've had some lovely ones and it makes a big difference.

I hadn't been for years, just like you I needed work done but was terrified. Just making the call I was in tears- but a few days before I had been in so much pain my OH had to take me to a&E because I was in so much pain I couldn't even see and I couldn't stop crying, they gave me tramadol for the pain and I decided I never wanted to go through that ever again. So I grew some balls, and my dentist is very very nice and understands I'm terrified but I've been and had work done including 2 teeth out in the chair (when before they had to put me to sleep) I am extremely proud of myself and it still isn't nice and I still get upset but I can do it now xx

Theres a lot of really poor information in this thread. I cant even address it, and I wont do so here, as it really will do nothing but kick a hornets nest.

But I advise everyone to TALK with your dentists before you diagnose yourself/already know everything/imply that anyone is ignorant.

I really commend you for calling and making an appt! Good for you! You did the right thing to let them know up front about your anxiety, I know that I personally will spend extra time with a patient and slow things down and find simpler ways to do things. We dont want to be a place you hate to come, we are here to help :) It can be a very scary thing, but ask lots of questions and make them explain things if you dont understand, it will help! :flower:

This!! I work as a dental nurse and you'd be surprised how many patients that are super nervous that say "that wasn't as bad as I thought, I wish of came sooner" is unreal. No treatment should hurt after the local anaesthetic is administered and of it does still hurt then let your dentist know! There is also RA sedation for very very nervous patients on the NHS too. It's people who don't go to the dentist regulary who tend to have trouble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->