After school clubs

pandacub

Proud mummy to Jacob
Reaction score
If you've a school age child, does your child go to after school club/breakfast club?
The way my manager has structured my hours for September means he'd probably be in breakfast club 3 days a week (probably from 8) and after school club 4 days a week. This feels like way too much to me. I really think he'll struggle with tiredness. I'm hoping I can negotiate a couple of early finishes so he'll only have to do after school club twice a week, but I still feel guilty. (Both in terms of motherhood and my work.. My manager has already let me have two days off a week for university!)
How does your child cope with after school club? Do they enjoy it? Do they struggle?

My lo goes to breakfast club five days a week, I drop her any time between 7.30 and 8.15 depending on what time I'm at work.
Tbh its never really affected her, she loves it and as they only do calm activities and also have breakfast so I don't think it makes her any more tired than if she was at home having breakfast. In megs breakfast club activities are things like iPad, colouring and playing with Lego, no running around getting hyper!

DS goes to school from 7:50 am & he finishes at 2.40 pm. On Saturday (weekend) he used to go to Piano at 11am, then arts at 12, then he goes to karate from 5 pm until 6.30 pm

On Monday he used to go to swimming at school from 3.30 till 4 pm

Wednesday he had football at school from 3.45 till 3.30 then karate from 5-6.30 pm

Friday (weekend here) he used to go to football from 9.30 am till 11.30 pm

This year in PY1 we have free after school activities on Sunday (school day) and Tuesday from 2.30 pm till 3.30 pm

On Monday and Wednesday there are paid sports but we will not go for swimming at school as he started to go to swimming on Thursdays at 4 pm now during the holiday and we will continue with those. He will still go to football at school then karate later. He also started gym classes last month during the holiday and he will continue with the classes when school starts.

He doesn't seem tired and he likes all classes.

At our school they aren't allowed into after school club till yr 1. My daughter used to do choir and IT two nights a week till 4.30. For a year I volunteered at breakfast club and so the kids attended which was 8am but they are up from 6 anyway.

My son started Afterschool club from December of last year till 5pm'ish. He started September and at our parents meetings b4 the Christmas break up they sung his praises he was exceeding in every area then second parents evening in march (after he had started) they commented he has slipped down in progress and doesn't engage as much in class. My placement finished early April so he didn't need to go Afterschool club anymore and then before they broke up for summer the teacher said his learning had picked back up.

I don't know how they will do this year but I hoping to minimise breakfast/ Afterschool club as much as I can because DS doesn't deal with it well, I think it just depends on the child as others have said they are fine.

DD currently goes to nursery from 8.30 am to 5.30 pm and she's been fine with that. When she starts school in September she'll have to do similar hours and I am a bit concerned about it as of course school will be more demanding than nursery, but there just isn't any other way unfortunately.
To balance things out a bit DD hasn't got any scheduled activities during weekends, we try and keep them spontaneous and relaxing and visit parks and playgrounds instead.

So unfortunately I can't offer much advise but I do sympathise with you.

I've sent my son since he was three. There was no other option, both Dh and I had to be at work before 8.45 which is when preschool starts. Some of his nursery days are really long like 7.45-5.45. It doesn't make me feel good and he does suffer with tiredness which comes out as stroppy behaviour. Luckily he only has one day a week there and the others with his grandmas.

Thanks ladies, my friend had a LO going to the same school and she said if she's not working she'll pick him up for me which is good :) I'm just going to have to stick it out for the time being and if it is too much, discuss it with my manager. He does get really tired by the end of the week as it is, but we walk to and from nursery and my days are mostly 8-5 or 5:30.. Hopefully I'll have passed my driving test by mid September so it shouldn't be too bad :)

I'm looking for full time work, so Ben will be going to breakfast club 3 days a week and after school club twice a week (FOBs mum will do the other pick ups). Although he's had a year already to get used to the long school days!

I expect he'll be very tired to start with, but will soon adjust, he'll be there from 8am and I'll be picking him up at half 5. I'm hoping it's not too much, but most days he's in the park for an hour after school anyway!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->