after she's tasted some stuff...

Carolyn

Reaction score
what do you do then?
she likes eating a variety of stuff:potato, jars of stuff, fruit purree, baby rice, biscotti....
obviously not substituted feeds for food yet.
not sure what to do next. she has bottle then food once or twice a day. do i carry on doing this for a bit? the weaning documents from hv don't really say what to do after they've had a taste of things...(Unless i'm missing something, which of course is possible):dohh:

Thats strange as my health visiter gave me some really helpful weaning documents.

I tells me from month 17 weeks plus to give to meals a day of the stuff you have already tried then month 2 to try pureed meats such as liver and chicken and pureed pulses such and beans and lentals. it says to use meat juces as gravy.

Aslo cheese sauces ,custard, full fat yogurt and fromage frais.

Then i have info from 6-9 months and 9-12 months.

I can scan and send to you if you like?

^ that would be lovely if it's not too much hassle, I hate scanning things! mum is having her weighed for me tomorrow, so will ask for some other documents then too.

The booklet from my HV said about giving tastes (smooth texture) for a couple of weeks starting once a day then moving up to 2, then 3 by approx 7 months (so 1 month after starting if you wait til 6 months.) And by 7 months the food is mashed not pureed.

HOWEVER after about 10 days of tastes my baby was helping himself to all sorts of our food and whining for food at breakfast time (I wasn't giving him any solids in the morning.)

I took him to the baby clinic and the HV said firstly she was surprised a boy his size had waited so long and secondly to just do him 3 meals a day, meals as in mince meat/ potato/ veg rather than just veg. Ready brek, porridge or weetabix for breakfast. Egg, yogurt, fruit puree for lunch. Evening meal.

She recommended this rough schedule:
morning milk feed, an hour later breakfast.
nothing until lunch- solid feed and offer water from a cup, then milk feed.
mid afternoon milk feed.
evening meal and offer water from a cup.
bedtime milk feed.

I've been doing this since Thurs, seems to be going well although he doesn't take much milk before bed and isn't too interested in the water yet.

sorry it's so long!!!!

i've not pureed anything...just mashed it...:cry:

We started on oatmeal in the evenings at 3.5 months so really early but we kept it to just that one meal a day until over 5 months. At that time we started introducing her to veggies with her oatmeal in the evenings. After a week or so we started giving her oatmeal for breakfast. A week after that (she'd been introduced to almost all of the stage one veggies by this point) we started to introduce fruit purees at lunch.

Her schedule right now is

7:45 bottle followed by oatmeal with applesauce (or some other fruit puree)
12(ish) bottle followed by fruit puree 3/4-1 jar
4(ish) bottle followed by 1 veggie jar (usually mix 2 veggies together for more variety) followed by yogurt if she is still hungry
6-6:30 bottle (right before bed)
10(ish) bottle (dream feed)

vickie, does your dream feed ensure that she sleeps through?

we wake abs before we go to bed, she still wakes up once int he night, threeish. past 2 nights we've been sooooo tired that we actually forgot to wake her, but she still only woke up at 3...????strange

i've not pureed anything...just mashed it...:cry:

Yeah the advice was to puree..... but I mash/ bung through the potato ricer too! I bought a stage 1 jar to have in for emergencies and when I opened it up it was sooo runny, like smoothie rather than what I would call fruit puree.

vickie, does your dream feed ensure that she sleeps through?

we wake abs before we go to bed, she still wakes up once int he night, threeish. past 2 nights we've been sooooo tired that we actually forgot to wake her, but she still only woke up at 3...????strange

She doesn't sleep through but she's not waking up because she's hungry any longer, she's waking up to "talk" :dohh:

She was eating at 3 in the morning until a couple of weeks ago. I had to stop her cold turkey because she would eat at 3 a.m. and than not want to eat again until noon the next day!! :wacko: So cut out that bottle (and it was hard) and now she eats better throughout the day. Eventually I'd like to cut out the dream feed but right now I'm pretty happy with where we are at

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->