Alexander Stephen, 9 days early 36 hour labour

J

JacquiKeren

Hi all.

Well our little man has arrived safe and sound so here is my birth story for those interested.

My waters broke on thur 25th at 2.30pm and after really freaking out about it i calmed down and called my midwife unit who told me to come in at 9.30pm that night to get checked over unless anything else changed before hand.

I phoned hubby who had only just started a late shift and said no point coming home until later as nothing is likely to happen. He came home at 6pm instead of 8pm. We went up to the midwife unit and they put me on a tracer for half hour. I was have light contractions, more like intense braxton hicks to be fair so after they were happy with that they sent me home and said if nothing happens by 2pm next day to come in an get checked.

Got home at 11pm and contractions were starting to take effect. By 2am they were really intense and coming every 3-4mins. I phoned L+D at 4am and the midwife said i appeared to be coping really well and to take a bath and if i came in id prob get sent home again (i really didnt want that!) By 6am i was getting really sore and neither hubby nor i had managed to get sleep. I phoned back up L+D and said im coming in regardless to get checked. By the time i was examined at 6.30am i was already 5cm dilated so they set me up on a tens machine which i really didnt like and made me walk aound to help with the pain. I had ketones +++ in my urine so they wanted me to eat something which i honestly couldnt face. It was like everything i tried just dried up in my mouth.

By 9am a student midwife came and took us to my birthing pool room and started to run the bath. The relief when i got in was amazing and i was easily able to cope with the contractions once i had my breathing under control.

By 12.30 they got me out and examined me and i was 8cm dilated so i hopped back into the bath and continued squatting etc. By 4pm my student midwfife was due to go home but i think she was convinced i would have him so she stayed till 6. He hadnt come by then. At 6pm i hadnt progressed much and was only 9 1/2 cm dilated and my contractions had completely tailed off much to my dismay. When the night nurse came on she was lovely but tough and made me drink gallons of water as my pulse was really high and i had a temperature despite taking paracetamol. They think my contractions stopped because i was dehydrated and hadnt eaten properly since the day before. They got me out the pool and i had a wee nap then she came back and examined me at 11pm where i was finally fully dilated but with still very irregular contractions. Baby was head down and very low but i think my body just didnt have the energy to do anything. Eventually it was decided that i would have to go up to the labour suite and have a hormone drip to start of my contractions which terrifed me. By this point my waters had been broken for well over 24 hours. I got took up and had the drip started at 12am on the 27th. By 1.57pm my little man arrived!! I have bilaterial labia grazes and tears but no perineal tear. I have about 3 stiches in place which i required gas and air for because honestly it was agony!!!!

All in all it was a very looooong labour and im now veryv very tired and it hurts to pee! Any advice i can is make sure you keep well hydrated and keep you energy levels up because its amazing how much labour takes it out of you!

My little boy weighed in at a healthy 8lb and was born at 38 weeks + 5 days. He is home now and has already gone through 3 lots of seriously dirty nappies!! He has taken my breast once but doesnt seem interested now. i shall continue to try tho!

Attachments

• Alexander.jpg
    Alexander.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 36
  • Alexander 27th Aug 2011.jpg
    Alexander 27th Aug 2011.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 29
Yaaay! Congratulations, soooo happy for you an LO! :happydance::happydance::happydance:

Congratulations - he's absolutely gorgeous! xx

Absolutely adorable baby.....congratulations!

Congratulations... hes a beauty and thank you for posting your story!! :D

He is beautiful and congratulations!:flower: 36 hours :shock:, I don't know how you did it but am glad everything is good!

Thank you for sharing your story. Your little man is gorgeous x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->