Alex's developmental results - whats next?

AP

Reaction score
Alex scored low on development test.(although not off the scale, the doc said)

The doctor explained that although Alex is progressing well for her, considering everything thats happened, she's not on par with other babies her corrected age.

So I agreed to let them refer her for assistance now rather than wait and see if she catches up. But whats next? What will/can they do?

Not got any answer, sorry. I'd like to see what others say as we'll probably be in your situation is just over a year. Did you get a choice whether to refer Alex or not? xx

I think it will be mostly play therepy but im not sure

Do you currently have any assistance with Alex?

Andrew is visited every two weeks by a Pre-Schools Special Needs Advisor, who plays with him for an hour to assess his development. She brings suitable toys from the toy library, and makes suggestions as to games/ways to play that can help his development.

(This is separate from and in addition to his regular visits by the Teacher of the Deaf, who does a similar thing but from a hearing/language viewpoint.)

I think Sherryberry gets similar regular sessions with a Portage advisor to help Millie's development.

We get nothing with Alex - and it's something I have never agreed with, I have always wanted early intervention.

Marleysgirl I do think that's whats on the cards x

I'm not exactly sure what they'll do with Alex as obviously F's stuff is all very specific to his various issues but when they are saying her development is not on par with babies of her corrected age are they comparing her with children who actually are 2 seeing as they did her assessment so early??

Na, unfortunatley they are going with babies of corrected age :/ so 19 months

At least they're not comparing her with children who are 2 (can you tell I was/am really peed off they did her 2yr assessment so early as it seemed so unfair for her!)

Have they said what exactly they think she should be doing that she isn't?

She didn't give us the scoring. She will be writing to us to confirm Alex's referral so I'll see what that says.

I did know this was going to be the case though. One of my friends Paula explained what they did with her LO so I imagine it'll be just the same (like what Marleysgirl said)

I'm not too worried. Alex tends to learn things in short bursts I find. Think she's going through one now as shes learnt how to kick a ball, do her small jigsaw and is interacting a lot more with Tori (shes been trying to give her the dummy, and a nappy at nappy changes - yeah, she kinda flings it at her rear end) :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->