Almost five month old clamping down

JessesGirl29

Reaction score
I don't know if I need advice or just support but after the initial week or two or breast feeding tenderness, bf was a breeze to me. Now my son is approaching five months old and I'm struggling and hoping its a phase. My son has a really strong suck and jaw. Even my Dad who raised three girls (with Mom) and seen countless grandchildren commented on it when my son 'bit' down on his finger. In the past week LO has been clamping down on my nipple which hurts but then he'll pull it out as far as it can go until my nipple is stretched and clamped. I say 'no' but he's sô young. I can't stop the feeding because he's started doing it multiple times even at the beginning. He hast even started teething yet. I dread what's coming.....:nope:

His anyone else's child done this??? Is it a phase? Help!!

My DS is 5 weeks old and does the same thing! The lactation consultant reckons he is trying to slow the flow of milk. Could this be what your son is doing?!

Thanks for your response, but I'm pretty sure that's not it. My supply is so regulated that my one boob doesn't even leak as I'm feeding. I feel let down and he feeds okay at that time since the milk is keeping his busy. I get the feeling it's him playing around. It just hurts though....:cry:

He could be playing or even starting the teething process. My daughter did this a lot due to lip tie. I would unlatch her, tell her no or not nice, then relatched. If she did it right away after that then I would sit her down let her fuss at me a second or two then relatch. Usually that was enough as she didn't like the latch and unlatch game.

Only other tip is to watch him nurse. Sometimes they do this when your not paying attention to them for attention. My daughter did that mostly when she was older but some figure it out sooner than others. Also you might be able to pick up on the cues to know when he is going o do it. My daughter gave one or two subtle hints so i had time to stop it.

My daughter does this as well. I don't have a solution, but you aren't alone. :(

Thanks ladies, he's stopped doing it so much thank goodness. Hopefully it was just a phase but I did notice that he did it more when he seemed to have trapped gas. So maybe he was getting a gas pain and clamping down.

I do too dread this! My dd yanks her head away and clamps at the same time. That hurts its becoming more difficult to unlatch her she's a fighter lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->