am I doing it wrong?

justkitty

First Time Mum
Reaction score
My 3 week old is feeding for maybe 3-7 minutes at a time almost every hour or so today. She just falls asleep or comes off on her own. I change her nappy and pop her backon bbut it's never for long. Should I be stripping her down etc to feed longer or is what she is doing ok? Plenty of wet nappies and poo.

Should she be feeding longer per feed and going a bit longer than an hour or so per feed? making it difficult with my toddler.

It seems quite a short amount of time to feed for a 3 week old. Are you swapping boobs for each feed or using the same for a couple in a row? If she is falling asleep I would try waking her, stripping her down etc, and offering her more, then if she refuses more at least you know it's her being full rather than sleepy.

I try to offer both at each feed but she rarely takes the other. I do have a strong let down I think so maybe that's it. Hmmmm. I do try stripping her down sometimes. Occasionally it works. I am getting her weighed Monday so hopefully she will be gaining weight well. But I don't want a snacker.

Also if it was a very small feed I'll offer the same side again at the next feed

my wee man is exactly the same!he's putting on weight so im not concerned, ive a very strong let down so I reckon he gets what he needs in such a short space of time,and my boob's definitely feel emptier after he's fed x

Sounds like it could be a growth spurt if she is getting a decent volume of milk at each feed (and that's completely possible if she's mastered the art of breastfeeding!). If you just go with it, it should settle back down after a little while. By feeding often, she'll be telling your boobs to increase supply as her needs will be increasing. If you try to put her off, your boobs won't get the message so you might end up prolonging the issue so I'd just go with it, she knows what she's doing :)

https://kellymom.com/bf/normal/growth-spurts/

I have a strong letdown too and my lo only eats for a few minutes. It's really frustrating because milk chokes her and she gives up. I try to pump some out before hand and it helps a lot! Plus, they get more of the good milk!

My son did this in the beginning and I ended up with a massive oversupply, which caused us a lot of problems. It really depends on whether your breast is quite empty when she pulls off, if it isn't, I would put her back on that breast.

Disneygrl: pumping the extra will keep your supply high, if you're happy to continue pumping to stock, it's not a problem, but you don't like pumping, that could be a problem down the road.

My son did this in the beginning and I ended up with a massive oversupply, which caused us a lot of problems. It really depends on whether your breast is quite empty when she pulls off, if it isn't, I would put her back on that breast.

Disneygrl: pumping the extra will keep your supply high, if you're happy to continue pumping to stock, it's not a problem, but you don't like pumping, that could be a problem down the road.

Yeah, I learned that the hard way. I pump once every four hrs or so, if lo doesn't eat directly from me. If she does, idontpump that "time". I wasn't making alot of milk, then was told to pump every two hrs plus feeding her and ended up with a massive supply. I've cut back so I can have some bottles, and cutting back has helped alot.

I have a lazy feeder. I have to change is diaper, undress him and sometimes use a wet washcloth to keep him awake. I also give him an 1 oz of expressed milk 5x a day. I have to switch breast to keep him awake. Hope this helps.

I have a lazy feeder. I have to change is diaper, undress him and sometimes use a wet washcloth to keep him awake. I also give him an 1 oz of expressed milk 5x a day. I have to switch breast to keep him awake. Hope this helps.

Oh yes this! Washcloth, feet tickling, ear tickling, nappy change, swap and swap again BUT my LO wasn't gaining well and had a rubbish latch. If LO is getting heavier then maybe she knows what she is doing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->