Am I going to lose my supply?

Dime Cuando

Reaction score
My DD is just one month old and has slept really well since day one - she wakes once or twice but only for 5/10 mins. She latches on and then goes back to sleep. I've tried keeping her awake but she's not interested and with a 3 year old, I can't deny the extra sleep in welcome.
However I'm waking up with very full boobs, usually leaking everywhere and I'm worried that if she's barely feeding through the night, will I lose my supply??

Sounds like my lo. Just a dream feeder in the night, although he's recently kicked that habit and sleeps all the way through now.
I was waking up engorged too. I'd pump in the morning time.
Over a week my body adjusted and stopped making so much overnight. The rest go the day I'm fine though.
Your body just knows when to produce and when it's not needed as much. It'll adjust!
You won't lose your supply if you're still breastfeeding all day.

If it were a newborn who wasn't gaining weight I'd say do your best to keep her awake, but if she feeds frequently in the day and is putting on weight that should maintain your supply. I know night feeds are the "best" way to maintain supply but they aren't the only way - frequent day feeds count too. You can't force a baby to eat, some just like to sleep. Those 5 minute feeds may be all she needs and be enough to keep your body making milk.

How many times does she feed not counting the night time snacks?

Thanks for getting back to me.

I have been expressing first thing too as she seems overwhelmed if she goes to feed and I'm too full.

She is gaining weight well so not concerned in the department (born 3,500kg and is now 4,800kg a month later)

I lose track of how much she feeds during the day because she is 'on and off' all day but definitely 4-5 'good' feeds. I express too and sometimes get a family member to give her a bottle of my milk as I work from home and sometimes need to get on with work.

Emma does two very brief nursing sessions overnight and is gaining about 350g a week, so it works fine here! Some nights she sleeps 6 hours, feeds off only one side and sleeps another 4-5 hours.

Nurses often during the day though.

Emma does two very brief nursing sessions overnight and is gaining about 350g a week, so it works fine here! Some nights she sleeps 6 hours, feeds off only one side and sleeps another 4-5 hours.

Nurses often during the day though.

Do you find yourself full to busting in the morning though? It's 2am here and already I can feel like I should express as she doesn't look like she's going to wake up (been asleep since 11pm).

Yup, and I get lots of letdowns and leaking. I end up hand expressing a bit off into the bathroom sink sometimes. Sounds like a waste but my milk goes soapy anyway and I don't have any bottles or storage for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->