Am I going too slowly?

Bec L

Proud mum to 2 girls/1boy
Reaction score
Hi
I started Poppy on baby rice at 24 weeks, and veg puree at 25 weeks, just once a day. She's now almost 28 weeks and at the mo she is on 2 meals a day - fruit or rice or porridge for brekkie, veg and fruit puree for lunch.

So far she has just had the 1st taste foods:
sweet potato
carrot
parsnip
apple
pear
swede
and it's all been very pureed.
Do you think I need to be introducing more foods by now, and also 3 meals a day? I don't want to move too quickly for her, but am also worried I am going too slowly and not giving her enough different things.

She has no teeth but should I make the food lumpier?

Poppy was 6 weeks prem but I have been told this makes no difference to weaning. However I think because she is still so little this has made me reluctant to rush things. :blush:

Any advice appreciated xx

i think your doing great :) i took weaning realllllyyyyyyy slowly with maddi! she had only started baby rice, carrot and potato by the time she was poppy's age. i would say take it at your own pace, and let poppy tell you :) i also found it good to introduce new foods one at a time, for a few days, so you no how they get on, as maddi has a terrible reaction to potato and so i go really slow :)

just to add - as for lumps, you can always try, if she hates it, then try again in a few weeks. we did lumps around 7months and she loves them :)

That sounds brilliant to me. I think Carly's advice is spot on - you should take it as slow as you like and let her guide you. Just follow your instincts - then there's no right or wrong. :)

Hi
I started Poppy on baby rice at 24 weeks, and veg puree at 25 weeks, just once a day. She's now almost 28 weeks and at the mo she is on 2 meals a day - fruit or rice or porridge for brekkie, veg and fruit puree for lunch.

So far she has just had the 1st taste foods:
sweet potato
carrot
parsnip
apple
pear
swede
and it's all been very pureed.
Do you think I need to be introducing more foods by now, and also 3 meals a day? I don't want to move too quickly for her, but am also worried I am going too slowly and not giving her enough different things.

She has no teeth but should I make the food lumpier?

Poppy was 6 weeks prem but I have been told this makes no difference to weaning. However I think because she is still so little this has made me reluctant to rush things. :blush:

Any advice appreciated xx

This is really odd (again) but Poppy and I are at the same point as you!

At the moment, she has fruity porridge or cereal mixed with milk or water for breakfast and then, for dinner, she has a cube or two of fruit or veg sometimes mixed with a little rice and water.

So far she has tried:

Sweet potato
Carrots
Parsnips
Apples
Pears
Broccoli
Swede
Avocado

I was also wondering whether to move her onto three meals and see how she goes. She seems to be enjoying it all (apart from the avocado!)

I am going to make some recipes with leeks, peas and apricots this week and stick those in the freezer.

It's an exciting time, isn't it?

How much does Poppy have at each sitting and do you feed her before, after or during her milk feed?

x

It's exciting but also a bit stressful as I am not sure I am doing it quite right!

At the mo Poppy has a couple of tablespoons of porridge and water, or a few teaspoons of rice and b/milk mixed with fruit. I only give her one cube of veg but they are quite big cubes (I have the Boots weaning ice cube trays so the cubes are bigger than normal) and a few teaspoons of fruit. She always opens her mouth for each spoonful even right at the end of the feed so I think she could probably have more but I don't like to overfeed her.

I always end up giving her her milk feed first so she is not starving but I am not quite sure how she will start to 'drop' her feeds if I am giving her the milk first?! What do you do with Poppy? xx

I have been going back and forth with when to feed her...before, after, in between milk feeds. I am going to start feeding her her solids at set times every day from now and see how that goes. It was becoming a bit of a nightmare trying to feed her after a massive milk feed (too full) or before a milk feed (too hungry) so I'll try it this way and see how she goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->