Am I over reacting and being too protective?

albee

Reaction score
My little girl was born five weeks premature. Apart from having a bit if trouble regulating her own body temperature and needing to be tube fed fir the first week if her life she has been doing great and rapidly putting on weight.

A work colleague just texted me saying that she wants to visit is and wants to bring her dog along (she has no children and the dog is treated as though it were her child). I initially felt really angry that she would even ask about the dog when family members have been thoughtful enough not to bring their little ones (we havent asked them not to bring the kids) due to our daughter possibly having a weaker immune system right now - am I just being overly protective as the baby is doing well?

I was (and still am) extremely over protective of Elias when he came home. No one was allowed to hold him, touch him without sanitizing their hands, no animals were allowed near him, etc. I didn't want my baby to end up BACK in the hospital, so I took every precaution.

Thankyou :)

Mila is only 4 weeks old and I just feel that a dog would be too much for her to cope with - her 'due date' hasn't even come around yet!

Feeling angry about my colleague being inconsiderate is probably a bit if an over reaction but I wouldn't have even dreamt of asking to introduce a dog to a premie baby!

Of course not, I'm sure if you explained to your friend how you feel then she wouldn't bring her dog. I was the exact same when my son was born 5 weeks.

By 4 weeks old i was taking Niamh out to baby groups, they cant build up an immune system if they are not exposed to things and its not like the dog is going to be licking the baby's face is it.

I agree with Lozzy. I treat AMelia as a 'normal' baby within reason obviously I wouldn't let her near people who are ill but she goes to my mams who has 2 cats. She comes shopping with us, we took her to the beach yesterday and shes already been to a wedding and 2 birthday parties. I want her immune system to build up before winter comes around as she will have a much harder time then x

Alex was 27 weeks but I seriously hated dogs around her.Or old people. Or anyone :rofl:

However... We did have a guinea pig so I doubt there was much difference when it comes to furs etc. We just ensured it wasn't near her.

Just go what you thinks best.

We have a dog so Connor came home at 3lb 10oz into an environment with a dog. We took usual hygiene procedures but not to the extent of a clinical environment. I think I would be more annoyed that' your colleague can't come around without her dog, we have friends like that who bring their dog with them to my house and it annoys me, I only like my smelly mut ;)

We were more worried about the germs out eldest might bring home from school.

Personally I would tell her to keep her dog at home. I think your not being over protective and your well within your rights to feel the way you do. Infact it would anger me if someone wanted to bring their dog to see my LO @ 5 weeks old. Im very protective of my DS and would not allow dogs around him @ that age.

I also agree with Lozzy. Ellie only makes 3 of her 5 white blood cells which means she catches everything but I treat her like any normal baby and like Lozzy said they need to buiold up their immune system xx

Thanks for all the replies - very much appreciated everyones views :)

I'm not worried about Mila picking up anything - that was one of the concern family members had raised as reasons not to bring their kids to visit along with their young kids possibly becoming overly excited.

I haven't met my colleagues dog so have no idea whether she is a calm or excitable dog - I guess my issue was with my colleague presuming I would be ok with her bringing her dog to 'introduce' to Mila rather than asking. When we had a dog I wouldn't ask others if I could bring my dog into their house and certainly would dream of doing so if there was a baby.

Thanks for all the replies - very much appreciated everyones views :)

I'm not worried about Mila picking up anything - that was one of the concern family members had raised as reasons not to bring their kids to visit along with their young kids possibly becoming overly excited.

I haven't met my colleagues dog so have no idea whether she is a calm or excitable dog - I guess my issue was with my colleague presuming I would be ok with her bringing her dog to 'introduce' to Mila rather than asking. When we had a dog I wouldn't ask others if I could bring my dog into their house and certainly would dream of doing so if there was a baby.

its surprising how even the wildest kids are so calm round a baby xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->