Am I overfeeding? I need help please!

wifey2013

Reaction score
So my little one was eating 4oz every 3 hours. Finishing the entire bottle every single time. I decided to up his feedings to 5oz.

As of yesterday he now eats every 3.5 - 4 hours, and last night he slept a stretch of 5.5 hours.

Last night he ate at 7:30pm, slept until 2:00am, then he ate at 5:45am, and I'm going to feed him soon at 9:30am, then at 1:00pm, then 4:30pm, and then 8:00pm.

He's 6 weeks old. Does this sound ok? He's still finishing the 5oz bottle without spitting up. Right now he's eating about 30oz in 24 hours and sometimes (on rare days) 35oz if he demands another bottle. I'm afraid of him eating too much.

If he's finishing it and not vomiting it all up after, he's not eating too much. If he's hungry, feed him. Don't worry about the times or planning the amount or trying to keep it consistent. It will probably be all over the place. But that's okay. As long as he's content, not still hungry after a feed, and not being sick after feeds, you're doing everything right.

6 weeks is a classic time for a growth spurt. No baby is the same so there is no point comparing them.

He is less likely to overeat if given small amounts often as this is what his body is expecting. Also give him breaks during the bottle (perhaps to burp) so he gets an opportunity to assess how he feels and refuse it if he's full, as often mid-bottle it is hard to stop the swallow reflex when the milk is right there is his mouth.

What you are feeding him in no way sounds excessive to me but I'm not an expert. No-one is an expert on your child though - he is his own best expert, followed closely by you. Follow his cues and you'll be fine!

Sounds just like my DD when she was 6 weeks :) and for a good while all she would eat was 5oz. She wasn't really drinking 6oz still 4.5 months

My 6 wo was having 6oz every 3 hours, this has just changed to 4-5oz every 2.5 hours which actually seems to suit him better as he isn't as sicky. At night he goes longer though...usually a 5/6 hour stretch followed by a 3 hour stretch.

Thank you all. My LO seems to be content with the 5oz for now every 3-4 hours. If he cries I feed him. I did notice that after his 4-5pm feed he gets hungry for his "before bedtime" only 2.5 hours later. What I might try tomorrow is to feed him his 5oz throughout the day, and at his 4-5pm feeding offer him 6oz and see how that goes.

noon_child I do burp him about every two ounces. He still always takes and finishes the bottle.

Thank you all. My LO seems to be content with the 5oz for now every 3-4 hours. If he cries I feed him. I did notice that after his 4-5pm feed he gets hungry for his "before bedtime" only 2.5 hours later. What I might try tomorrow is to feed him his 5oz throughout the day, and at his 4-5pm feeding offer him 6oz and see how that goes.

noon_child I do burp him about every two ounces. He still always takes and finishes the bottle.

My lo also has 2 bottles close together In the evening. Usually a bottle at 4pm then wants another at 6pm. He will then sleep for a good 5-6 hours.Think it's quite common. Last night he had 5oz at 4pm, a bath then 6oz at 6pm in his sleeping bag in my bedroom, fell straight to sleep, put him in his crib, then quick smaller feeds at 11.30pm and 3.45am then up for he day at 6.30am (get up with toddler at that time anyway).

Sounds typical to me.

Keep in mind that the feeding guides tend to say an average baby should consume 2-3 ounces of formula per day for every pound of his or her body weight, up to a maximum of 32 ounces.

my LO is 5 months & wont drink more than 4 ounces at a time every 2-2.5 hours like still a NB! When do babies up their intake in one bottle?

my LO is 5 months & wont drink more than 4 ounces at a time every 2-2.5 hours like still a NB! When do babies up their intake in one bottle?

I think every baby is different and has their own personal feeding preference. DD was up to 7 ounces at a time by 5 months, and was going 3-4 hours between bottles since around a month old. I bet you're exhausted :hugs:

I think every baby is different and has their own personal feeding preference. DD was up to 7 ounces at a time by 5 months, and was going 3-4 hours between bottles since around a month old. I bet you're exhausted :hugs:

He only gets up once in the night for a feed so, not exhausted anymore. Just during the day time he can't go past the 2.5 hr mark without eating unless he's having a nice long snooze.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->