Am I The Only One Grossed Out.....

LulaBug

Mum of 6
Reaction score
.....By people who let their dogs/cats lick their plates after eating?

The way I see it is they sniff each others butt's, have their nose's into god knows what and lick their own nether regions and even eat poo sometimes, so for me, I find it sooooo completely repulsive that people will let their pets lick the crockery after eating.

While I realize that they'll be washed up, I'm just thinking that the amount of bacteria that will still be there.....it's nauseating lol!

lol - do you have a dog/cat?

While i don't actively let my dog lick my plates sometimes it does happen but i doesn't gross me out. At the end of the day my dog licks my face if i get too close to her and that's a lot worse as i can't wash my face with boiling water!

I stay with my son's nan at the moment and she has a cat and I had to stop myself from gagging the other morning when after she'd had her cereal, she sat the bowl on the floor to let the cat lick up the rest of the milk. That bowl was licked dry and this was after she'd just been licking her mooey! *boke*

I can't let dog's lick me for the same reason lol!

If i had a cat i would let it have my unused milk so that i wouldn't have to waste it but i would probably put it in the cats bowl.

If i had a cat i would let it have my unused milk so that i wouldn't have to waste it but i would probably put it in the cats bowl.

Yeah, that's what I would do as I don't think there's anything wrong with giving a cat unused milk, but I would put it in a cat's bowl.

doesnt bother me as it goes through dishwasher & every bacteria dies in temps that hot.

p.s. dogs mouths have special bacteria that makes them cleaner than human mouths.

I don't like any animals eating off dinner plates. Unfortunately, Cat has different ideas...and does, many a time, sneak pieces off plates.

My recent woe was telling DH off for eating my ice cream...he hadn't...looked over at Cat, doing his best to look nonchalant, but with ice cream droplets in his whiskers, and freaked. Urgh.

No. Not a fan.

I dont like it either an old friend of mine used to share her ice cream and bottled water with her dogs they would lick her ice cream then she would eat it and shed let them lick water out her bottle then drink it herself made.me gag when she did that infront of me!!

I don't share anything with my dog, like icecreams and waterbottles... That's gross! I also don't like him licking my face but this is mainly because it feels horrible! I wouldn't like humans licking my face either!!!.... If I leave a bowl on the floor and my dog starts licking it I just let him carry on as he's already started but generally I will discourage him from doing it... one of the reasons is germs but also because it encourages him to beg when we're eating our dinner if he thinks he's going to get the bowl afterwards!

It drives me nuts! My mom always lets her little Yorkshire Terrier lick the plates, and I always take them away. Aside from the fact that he shouldn't be eating people food anyway (he's small and old and has Cushing's disease), it has taught him that taking food off plates is okay. Since he's not remotely well-trained, he will take food off any plate he can reach and tries to steal food from my daughter while she's eating it.

:sick: Yuck! I find this disgusting! I dont know how any one could let their pets do this.

I do find it gross but only because we don't have pets and I find a lot of things about animals gross :lol:

It is true that a dogs mouth is cleaner than your own mouth though

No you're not alone I feel exactly the same way. My ex used to always give his dog the plate after having his dinner and would tell me to do the same - I'd sometimes give the dog anything left over but what ex used to do was purposely leave him some of his dinner - and expect me to do the same which resulted in every time I ate a meal having the dog almost on my knee watching and every time I'd move a muscle he'd start off towards the kitchen to wait for 'his bit'

Disgusted me seeing him licking the plates - I don't care how 'clean' a dog's tongue is it STILL licks it's own arse - and ex also used our knives to dish up the dog's food - even though I bought special ones for him. I tried so many times to get him to stop letting him lick the plates etc but he wouldn't. Just one more reason why I am glad I'm not with him now...

Haha
My dogs are family. Families share germs, no matter how you might try to convince yourself otherwise. As long as its MY family/familiar pets, its not gonna hurt me. I can't say I've ever heard or read of anyone getting seriously ill from sharing plates with their own well cared for pet. Of course, its important to take measures to reduce parasites from worms or fleas that could infect people, but there are easy ways to reduce/manage those threats as a way of taking care of your pet and thereby protecting your family.

The way I see it, there's far more DANGEROUS bacteria in the meats and such that we process in the kitchen. I HAVE heard of people getting seriously ill from cross contamination in the kitchen from uncooked meat not being fully/properly cleaned off of surfaces and utensils and contaminating the finished product. I am more grossed out by people's casual cleanup of bloddy, raw meat messes than anything to do with pets.

Yup it grosses me out, my parents always let their dogs lick their plates (and their hands and dad lets them lick his feet...ew ew ew ew)

Doesnt bother me at all, my parents do it all the time, it goes through the dishwasher. When i was a kid i used to share ice cream with my dog lol. I probebly wouldnt do that now but it wouldnt bother me if my dog licked my plate because as someone eles said he licks my face all the time! lol

It doesnt gross me out but I dont activley encourage either, quite often though the kitten will lick the knife if someone usually OH has left it on the side.

I'm not a fan of animals licking faces either but our 18 week old kitten has other ideas and most mornings at about 6am I get woken up by him sticking his tongue up my nose or in my ear :haha:

Ewwwww! Dogs licking faces is nasty too though IMO.......each to their own!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->