Amazed at my Home Birth

NewlyMarried

Reaction score
Hi Ladies
Just wanted to share my story with you fellow home birthers.

I only changed to the homebirth team at 36 weeks after originally being convinced id need an epidural (I’m not great with pain and thought I had a low pain threshold). After being told at the antenatal classes and by my midwife it was very unlikely id have an epidural (my local hospital really try and avoid giving them) I decided to go for the place id be most calm and in control ... my home.

My experience surpassed all my expectations and I would now recommend home birth to everyone!
I had two midwives all to myself and they were amazing. Helped me in ways I never knew they would/could.
My first stage of labour was very very quick my first contraction was the most painful one - it didn’t build gradually - and I was ready to push in 15 mins.
We called the midwife and I thought she would think I was stupid and I couldn’t possibly be ready to push but she rushed over and checked me and I was fully dilated (my body knew to push when my head said I couldn’t possibly be ready yet - 1st time mum 15 mins Crazy!).

My second stage was slow and although they don’t like you to push for more than 2 hours I pushed for just over 3. The midwives were unbelievable they physically showed me how to push (pressing one finger on the point I needed to focus pushing really got things moving) hand fed me banana pieces to give me the energy for the last final pushes, held my leg up in the air for hours at a time and on and on I could praise their help.

My contractions came on so quick and I was ready to push so soon I didn’t get round to having any paracetamol as I had planned for the early stages.
They subtly offered me gas and air two times but I needed to concentrate all my energy on pushing as hard as I could and I just felt that faffing with gas and air would be a distraction (again not what I planned) so I did it 100% naturally :happydance:

I have been told outright that in hospital I would not have been allowed to push for 3 hours they would have whipped out the forceps. The homebirth team gave me the time and support (obviously constantly checking baby’s heart rate showed no signs of distress) to push myself. Baby and I were perfectly safe and healthy and did not need forceps we just needed more than the allotted time hospitals give for pushing :thumbup:

Final stage was also good midwife advised I sit on the toilet she came and sat on the edge of the bath and held me up and after about 5-10 mins when I could pluck up the courage I did a cough and pop out came the placenta - I’m sure this must be better than lying in bed pushing so another great part of the homebirth experience.

I wish you all the best of luck in your labours obviously we are all so different and no two experiences are alike but imp so so happy with how everything went that I’m now the biggest homebirth advocate!!
:hugs:
Im off to go and stare at my beautiful baby boy now …. :cloud9:

awww thank you for sharing this. I need to read more positive stories as I'm strongly considering a home birth. My hospital will have no problem giving me an epidural but I just don't want one. That's why I want to stay at home so I don't get encouraged :p

Thank you for sharing this. Its so good to share positive stories. Congratulations!

Yay!! Congratulations on what sounds like an amazing, peaceful, natural Home Birth ... and of course on the arrival of your little boy! :happydance:

Home midwives are just soooo much nicer than hospital ones in my experience :cloud9:

Congratulations on your new arrival, and on the wonderful journey you had getting him here! Really happy for you :D

Huge congratulations and happy babymooning x

Glad you shared this! :)

I didn't know the limit on pushing time in a hospital although I'm not surprised. That's a shame that women are dealt with on a cookie cutter type procedure rather than being allowed to do what their individual bodies are built to do.

We're told as children that we're all different. That no one person is like another, and yet when it comes to things like this, we're all treated the same. Makes sense, right? :roll:

Thank you so much for this, fab to read - I too only came to be planning a homebirth at 34 weeks ands it wonderful to hear such a positive story withn a similar turnaround!:thumbup:

Congratulations on your homebirth and your baby boy :baby:

Such a great birth story :) congratulations on your lil boy and well done for doing it 100% naturally! :flow: xx

I'm almost half way through my first pregnancy and I'm planning a home birth. Thank you for sharing your story :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->