Ammonia stink, but only in the morning?

Pink Petals

Reaction score
Our overnight diapers reek of ammonia in the morning. Our cloth diapers never smell when we use them throughout the day. The culprit could be our Swaddlebees Simplex or the hemp inserts, I don't know. And I have no idea what's causing it.

I have tried RLR, RnG Funk Rock and even bleach. But the smell still returns every morning. :shrug:

My LO has gotten ammonia burns and we have had to start using disposables at night. :nope:

Any insight or advice?

I had this issue with our bamboo overnight fitted diapers and some of the hemp jersey inserts/doublers, so I changed my wash routine. I now wash covers separately and wash the inners/fitteds using my machine's sanitize temp, which uses steam. I tried it after trying so many other things without success. I read somewhere that heat releases the ammonia crystals, hence why people sometimes boil diapers when they get ammonia buildup. I haven't had a problem since.

Thank you. Unfortunately, Swaddlebees are all in ones. Is it caused by buildup, even if the stink only happend overnight?

In my case they would get stinky again after only one wash not using high temps. I think it is because the bamboo is so absorbent that it easily traps the ammonia crystals. May be the case with your hemp inserts as well. It seems more likely that they are the culprit. Maybe you could wash those separately? I know some people have success spraying down the diaper or inserts with an enzymatic solution like BacOut, or rinsing/soaking nighttime diapers before putting them in the pail, but these did not work for me. Oh- also I wanted to mention that even when we had ammonia problems, she never got a rash from it probably due to the fleece liners we use. Perhaps those could help too. Super cheap and easy.

What hemp inserts are you using?

The RnG is a crummy booster at best. RLR and bleach are great to strip but only if you rinse really, really well and follow up with a solid actual detergent.

What does your wash routine typically consist of and how hard is your water?

Hard water.

We have a front loader. I do a pre-rinse, then wash on hot with 1 tbsp of RnG Funk Rock. Then I follow that with 2 rinses.

The stink came back literally the first night after doing RLR and bleach. :dohh:

The hemp inserts are AMP. Is there a way to tell if it is the insert or the diaper with the issue.

You definitely aren't using a good detergent, or enough! Do you use just 1Tbs of anything to launder your shirts and pants? If not, why not? Because that's not enough to clean shirts and pants - much less urine and feces!!!

Bottom line is, if your diapers were actually getting clean, you'd never have to battle ammonia or the nasty burns that accompany it.

I initially bought the tale that only "cloth diaper safe" "detergents" should be used - tooth, line and sinker. I was so grateful when someone finally clued me in - and then I was TICKED! That "specialty" junk is expensive, and it totally doesn't work!

When urine hits ammonia build up, it activates it and that's where your pumpkin's bum burns and night time troubles are coming from.

My very best advice is that you join the fb group Fluff Love and CD Science. They are a massive conglomerate of moms and dad's who have learned the truth and are now in the business of helping others sort out where and why their wash routines have gone wrong. Once your request is approved you can ask for specific advice that'll guide you to solving your problem. They have files to reference if you're initially shy, but there are so many that can help you pinpoint exactly what's up. No one will pick on you, but beware, NO ONE there backs RnG or any similar gimmicky marketed "cd safe" boosters. You'll hear about how very common your issues are (particularly the ammonia burns :( ) and it'll definitely set some off on the rant about how unethical those corporations are.

My guess is that you're going to be advised to do a thorough RLR/bleach strip/soak. I'm not sure what your process was before, but here is what's recommended in regards to an RLR strip:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HqmLqFsws9ipwGDV0QQfbHGUKwQuik1ZbOkzSvkI8QM/edit
That should be followed by a thorough bleach soak:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1L1lJxvNo_EqI06yPJN4DhMypRapFC534XsXdM_xUhco/edit

After both, you'll need to follow up by a HOT water rinse and HOT wash (with DETERGENT - not crummy RnG booster). If you want to avoid dyes and perfumes you can certainly choose a Free and Clear formula, but it has to be a detergent.

If you continue a solid wash routine with a good detergent, save for running into something like yeast in the future, you shouldn't need to strip/bleach again :thumbup:

Maybe you could try rinsing the diapers before going into the diaper pail? That way the pee doesn't have a chance to settle in. You might have to strip first.

Also you could try tossing a bit of washing soda in with the diapers as your regular routine?

I agree with messica that one table spoon doesn't sound like much, but I am not familiar with front loaders.

I give Sophie's overnighters an immediate hand rinse in a bucket of warm water when I take them off. Wring out then one more rinse before going in the pail.

I have never had a smell issue since rinsing all nappies (individually) in a bucket (it only takes a coupe of minutes) and using a bit more detergent than I used to. I also don't go in for any special brands, just fragrance free and no built in fabric softeners.

I use a mixture of cotton, bamboo and hemp and they all smell fresh and beautiful.

Def join a good CD group! Best thing I ever did. I was fortunate that I found out about one before I had any issues (3 mo in). We can help as best we can too!

Sorry that I don't have much to add as I use a more "natural" disposable for overnights. But I have heard that some people rinse their overnight diapers to help. Def using a good detergent (and enough of it) along with a water softener during the main wash is all you need.

I buy Calgon and though it is expensive, I literally use 2 tbsp of the softener during the main wash cycle. Also, extra rinsing isn't necessary unless your diapers feel soapy or slimy.

I have an HE washer and I run 2 heavy load cycles. In my first cycle, I use about 1 tbsp detergent as a booster on cold with no extra rinse or extended spin. Main cycle I use a full dose of detergent (to line 2 or three--a whole 'cup' provided w the detergent) along with 2 tbsp calgon and and extra rinse attached to the cycle as well as an extended spin. That's it. They are never soapy coming out--the science of detergent is such that is is made to rinse clean.

I have stripped once using homemade RLR & chlorinated bleach because we went on a week long vacay out of province w our cloth and they just weren't smelling fresh as usual when we got home. It's quite the process and def not something I'd like to have to do on the regular.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->